Sun 13th Dec - Cyclocross/MTB run

Tony

Recently I've been exploring some of the trails on Gleniffer Braes and I'm planning to head up there again on Sunday morning so if anyone wishes to join me you're more than welcome.

My plan is to leave from Miller St at 0900 and head up on the Brandyburn path which takes you from Johnstone Castle up to a point just north of the electricity substation. I will spend some time on the trails in that area - north of the B775. (There is quite a dense network of trails and I only know a few of them so the focus will be on exploration.) After that I will probably do some loops round the area between SergeantLaw Rd and Paisley Golf Club. If time allows I might venture out past the golf club into Glen Park / Brownside Braes.

The terrain is all fairly non-technical - grassy and a bit bumpy/boggy/rooty in places but nothing that requires suspension. I ride a rigid MTB, cyclocross bikes will cope with it just fine. There will be a few gates/stiles to negotiate, i.e. some opportunities to practice your dismount/remount technique...

I will aim to be back by 1300. Post here if interested...

NB the actual start of the Brandyburn path is in Auchenlodment Rd just north of Beith Rd so it is a 5-min ride from Miller St.

It was a beautiful day once we got up onto the Braes above the fog - clear and sunny with great views north to the Kilpatrick hills, Ben Lomond etc. I took a few photos which can be seen here:

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/jumbolugs ... directlink

There is some great singletrack up there, it's a really good workout.

After we'd messed about on the Braes for about 2 hours we decided a cafe stop might be in order so we decided to head for Lochwinnoch via the Whittliemuir cross-country path. This runs across the site of an old reservoir which was filled in many years ago, and eventually brings you back out onto tarmac near Skiff Wood. We were all amazed how much the temperature dropped as we descended off Walls Hill into the freezing fog.

Unfortunately Kenny got a puncture, on a muddy path near Kenmuir Hill (the one with the wee temple on it). By the time we reached the cafe we were all freezing and wishing we were back up on the Braes in the sunshine. It was a really good run though - thanks for coming along guys

Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !