Mudguards

Jannza

• Administrators

Bought some mudguards to fit to my commute bike, went to fit them tonight and realised I need more bolts.

Do bikes have a standard bolt/thread size or am I likely to need to buy a few and see what fits at the iron mongers?

I have these kind of brakes which fit to the fork so no bolt for the mudguard

RX1.gif

2ldnpe.jpg

Jan, Ive only ever fitted mudguards to a bike with caliper brakes with a bolt as the anchor and the stays fitting to the eyelets. Not sure what kind of guards you have? I presume its some sort of race blades? What about these?

Easy to fit! And V-Brake specific, and wont break the bank @ £10

http://www.formbycycles.co.uk/product/2 ... Mud_Guards

Or these:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-SJSC ... -10360.htm

Jan

If I understand this correctly:

- your frame and fork have muduard eyelets

- your mudguards are the traditional kind that need to be bolted onto the eyelets and also onto the fork crown / seatstay bridge

...but all that you are lacking is the "big bolts" that go through the fork crown and seatstay bridge, due to the fact that you have v-brakes rather than caliper brakes? (I normally bolt the rear mudguard to the chainstay bridge as well)

If that is the case, it's straightforward - you can get the "big bolts" from B&Q, in packs of 5/10, for a couple of quid a pack. I've been down this road before myself, as I use a rigid MTB for commuting. I will check the size & let u know

Tony

• Administrators

Yes bike has eyelets and I've bought traditional guards for 700 size wheels from Mr Dooley. I bought 3 bolts after work a 4, 5 and 6mm total cost of 64p :grin: and the 6mm fits best. The front one is sitting pretty close to the tyre but I'll have another bash at it tomorrow.

Hoping they don't move around at every bump like race blades did I had on the road bike.