Skye Cyclosportive

Just in from what was a fantastic weekend.

I took the day off on Friday to enjoy the drive up. It took the best part of 5 hours to get there but the current weather conditions made it a pleasure.

Having never been to Skye before I had taken the opportunity to join Kenny MacDonalds training week earlier in the year so I knew what to expect. The routes used on the training week were also used on the Sportive, with the exception of the section between Dunvegan and Sligachan.

Anyway I checked into a cracking B&B for a couple of nights then headed out for a few libations at the local free house as I knew what to expect the following day. I don't know if you've ever been in Skye but there are no flat sections of road! It either goes up or down, mostly in mile increments! Its hard work, also the wind (it seems) is constantly in your face at around 25mph gusting to 40!

Early registration, 7.30am, then I headed to the start proper in the centre of Portree. There were two events running in tandem a short course of around 40 miles and the longer course at 97.

There was a good mix of folk at the start around 80 had entered the 97 miler.

It was at the start I noticed the familiar sight of Mike Ferguson's jacket and bum bag combo! I was happy to see a familiar face so Mike I and I teamed up for what was a really testing day in baking heat with ferocious winds.

From the start in Portree we were averaging 28kph, with the wind at our back as we made our way up the coast, past the Old Man of Storr and towards Uig at the top of the Island. The roads are fantastic, swooping up and down,hugging the coastline with some surfaces smooth as silk one minute then rough as hell the next. As I mentioned the road either goes up or down, no flat bits! I managed to top out my speedo at 82 kmph.

From Uig, it was the hellish wind in our faces for the foreseeable future! We managed to pick up the odd rider or two and got some rhythm going in a through and off style. Mike and I were fine but its hard to work with strangers who go haring through for their spell.

We stopped to fill our bottles, and for some flapjack just outside Dunvegan when it happened.....................

Mike took his jacket off! :lol: It had been about 25 in the shade for the last 3 hours!,I have however, no photographic evidence of this :-(:lol:

We worked together into the wind for what seemed like an eternity. With the black Cuulins in the distance as a target. We made it to the foothills at Sligachan then turned to head back to Portree for the finish Having the wind behind us was amazing after the efforts down the west side of the island.

We flew back into the centre of Portree with the clock stopping for us at 6 hours and 30 mins give or take. I now have a proper cyclists tan as well! I was so tired after it I fell asleep for two hours! Thanks for your company Mike it would have been pretty lonely without you 8-)

Cheers