Lesmahagow TLI race

P McDonald

• 2023 Subscriptions

Ramsay, Jim and I rode this race, sunny and very breezy - I ended up with sun burn (actually wind burned arms!)

3 groups, over 50's then over 40's then under 40's run as an APR. Pretty strong field turned out for the sunshine. The 3 of us started in the mid group (Ramsay got a dispensation). First climb after 3 miles and the 18 or so group had split with me and Ramsay in a break of 6 with Jim Cusick, eventual winner Tom Anderson, Neil Cameron and John McQuade. We were fairly motoring with Ramsay and I doing intermittent spells, Ramsay more than me. I was pretty gob smacked when the red courier express (Tommo, Barry, Euan and some others) caught us after about 20 miles - 2 mins clearly not enough when there is a freight train coming..

Anyway 6 superstars broke away on the steep headwind climb. I got in a second group of 4 and we stayed together till finish where I came 8th. Jim D finished in a very splintered race behind in 15th and Ramsay finished 17th after his exertions in the early break.

Excellent day oot in the winds of Lanarkshire.

PMcD

Oh ya dancer !

• 2023 Subscriptions

As Paul said, it was a great day out in the sun (and I also have quite sunburned arms!)

The constant accelerations from trying to hing onto the fast guys just took too much out of my legs. Also, on the second lap, three of us made a bit of a break for 5 miles or so, but got reeled in (luckily, as a bit of cramp had started in the legs)!

Some good photos on the Falkirk BC website.

Ramsay