Help: How do I get started?

David J

After a bit of a wasted year due to a bad knee I am aiming to race this year. I did one of the APR's up on the Braes in early summer and loved it!

However, I do not know the first thing about how to go about it. I know that we have club events and have heard people talking about TLI races. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what is the best events for a beginer? I do not want to dropped after 400m!

Also do I need to get a BC licence?

Any advice would be very welcome!

Guest Jim Daly

Difficult to tell you everything that you should know succinctly.

However, here are some basics to get you going:

You can pay £15(?) extra to enter race on the day without any licence.

Cheaper if you join and tli is relatively informal.

TLI Events Website with membership entry:

http://www.scottish-tli.com/6229.html

1st race on 1st March at Crieff but would be easy to get dropped even without the Comrie Moor route.

British Cycling website 1st APR details:

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/si ... =1&evt_id={1FDFE6D4-AA25-4470-AE06-5FF7CCACA6BB}&evt_seriesid=&evt_myevents=No&RefID=&RefType=&evt_month=All&evt_kw=&evt_regions=Scotland&evt_disc=&evt_class=&evt_cat=&evt_series=&evt_resultspp=20

Go to Memebership on left of page for applications.

Entry Central is a useful means of entry (or waitlisting) for some races:

http://www.entrycentral.com/

Further discussion at forthcoming reliability trials is advised.

Volunteer for the 1st group in APR's and don't feel awkward at the start line if the guys are all in their late 60's. Be ready to get yer @r$e kicked.

Jim

• Committee

Hi David

Great to hear you're interested in racing. We need all the racers we can get.

+1 to all Jim says.

TLI is perhaps a bit cheaper than SC events but entry cost is irrelevant once transport and gear is paid for so you might as well get a full race license anyway.

In any event prepare for a much harder workout than the Braes APRs; there are no easy races for beginners, they all hurt.

Suggest you enter Crieff or Gifford for an early event and then you can decide whether to spend the rest of the year doing more. Unless you are very fit you may well be dropped but even finishing one of these races is great and will be good experience and training for the next time (I should know).

If you get a top half place then you will be doing very well.

Regards

Alan

Thanks guys - some good advice which I will definitely take on board. I am under no illusions about how difficult it will be, but past experience has taught me that you have to get "in about it" to improve! I do not think I will get signed-up for Saxo Bank, however, I plan to enjoy myself and try as many things as I can.

I think my base endurance is nearly there so I can now set myself some goals and work on the rest. Bring it on!

Thanks again for the advice :grin:

Hi David,

I'm planning on doing some racing this year after a good 10 years away from the scene so I expect we're in a similar sort of place!

I've just renewed by BCF licence for the year and have looked at some of the TLI events and am planning on speaking to Jim/Alan/Paul this weekend about recommendations etc (as well as doing some good old-fashioned trawling through the race calendar of an evening!)

Matt