Braveheart Cycling Fund

BrianS

• Members

Initial reaction Brian is good idea , but doubt that it will gain the sort of financial backing to be a success.

When you take all disciplines into the equation :- Road ,TT , MTB , Track etc where do you prioritise who gets what ?

Who chooses who gets funding & who doesnt ?

How much does each recipient get ?

all negative but salient points .

How does people like Katrina and Aileen fit into this organisation?

Both are Medal contenders at the highest level.

We had to turn down an invitation to send a womens team to Ireland recently , due to lack of funding . Would this fund contribute to sending womens squads abroad.

Will this fund affect our current sponsors who will undoubtedly be contacted to contribute to this fund. This could have a detrimental effect to the grass roots clubs , who nurture the riders in there early years.

As I say all pretty negative comments.

How about targeting Scots who are in exile to contribute , this is a large group of usually wealthy individuals whom can get nostalgic for the old county.

I will watch with interest the development of the fund.

ps I have received an invite to send a team to Florida in November for the World Bicycle polo Championship ( seriously not a joke)

Can I apply for funding?

Also looking for team to go with me

Kenny MacD

• Members

Saturday 30th EDINBURGH EVENING NEWS

Bravehearts get off mark in bid to fund future stars

CYCLING BY COLIN RENTON

A NEW initiative is offering Scotland’s cycling stars of the future a dream opportunity to experience a higher level of competition and realise their true potential.

The Braveheart Cycling Fund has been set up with the aim of uncovering the sport’s future stars and exposing them to higher levels of competition in order to realise their full potential.

The scheme is the brainchild of Brian Smith, a former professional rider who was twice British champion and is a former team-mate of five-time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong.

Smith and three other cycling enthusiasts have set themselves the ambitious goal of raising money to finance the project.

"Our first fundraising exercise will be a dinner in November," explained Smith. "The cost of the venue and all of the food has been donated, so all of the ticket money will be profit. If we can raise £3000 we will be able to fund trips that riders could not afford otherwise.

"It could be taking a women’s team to a road race on the continent, or taking riders to a big event down south, such as the Lincoln Grand Prix, or it might be giving our juniors a chance to compete in a higher standard of competition.

"We don’t have any fixed criteria," he added. "The plan is to raise funds in various ways and we have a huge number of ideas on how to achieve that. We haven’t ruled anything out."

The plan is to invite riders to apply for funding, and Smith insists that it will not be élitist or exclusive, explaining there will be no limitations.

"We want to look after people who may miss out on the chance to realise their potential. We want to support all disciplines. So, we are not going to say that we will only provide financial backing for road racers or track guys.

"All I want is for young Scottish talent to have a chance to prove what they can do."

Full details of the fund, its aims and how to make a contribution appear on the website: www.braveheartcyclingfund.com.

• 2 weeks later...

Brian,I tried to log on to check out the site but with no success,some business site or another?Anyway I kinda agree with Kenny about the allocation of funding as I would be concerned that possible worthy recipients may be overlooked(a bit like lotto!).Otherwise a fine idea it's just promoting it to the public who seem so car or football orientated in this country that the idea of putting money into cycling may to some seem absurd .I will try again later to check it out but in the meantime I will think of some target areas to seek funding from and if I come up with any beauties I will let you know. :wink: