Old Raleigh Dynatech 700 - Upgrade or Replace - Help!

Al

I have an old Raleigh Dynatech 700 with Shimano 600 kit on it.

I bought this last year and was told it was the dogs b----x bike in its day.

This is my winter bike and I am wondering if it's worth upgrading with STI Levers, etc or would I be better selling and buying a secondhand newer bike?

Is the old Raleigh worth saving or should I just :rockets

Ta,

Al.

• Committee

Al

If it it doesn't have clearance and eyelets for mudguards then it won't make a great winter bike. You could fit raceblades but they're a bit of a compromise.

600 kit is really nice (Ultegra quality) and it might be worth getting a full winter frame and forks for under £200 and swapping over as much stuff as you can, while accepting that some bits (seatpost, front derailleur) simply might not fit and need replaced. You might also need long drop brakes to clear mudguards.

I did this with my Dynatech and the 15 year old shifters still work perfectly.

If you're Dynatech frame has forward facing dropouts then you could build it into a fixed wheel bike...but that's another thread.

Alan

al (and simon for the pm),

i fitted muddies to the Dynatech about 3 months ago. held with tape and cable ties. they are pretty secure and holding okay.

alan - funnily enough i've decided to build a freewheel single, using an old Peugeot frame though not the Dynatech. all the bits are now ordered from BBJ, so it means the old Dynatech is going to have to stay as it is, as the old piggie bank is now empty :-(

simon- thanks for offer of bits, but unless Santa brings me a wad of cash, instead of the usual socks , i'll need to pass this time.

if i like the Peugeot single, then i might put the Dynatech up for sale. if its worth anything that is?

thanks again for your help/advice guys much appreciated :grin:

al.