Sunday 21st Sept - 9.30 am Bunch - Bute

Lesley Scally

All,

With the various events taking place over on the Isle of Bute this weekend, I thought it might be a good idea to head over and support some of our clubmates who are racing.

Propose getting the 10.15 am ferry from Weymss Bay to Rothesay. So to give time to get ourselves organised, buy tickets etc, suggest we meet at the Weymss Bay ferry terminal at 9.45 am (remember Weymss Bay not Gourock!!). Could do a lap of the island with options to then take ferry from Rhubodach to Colintrive and then cycle back over the Tarzin Dam to Dunoon and take the ferry back to Gourock then short cycle back to Weymss Bay for anyone who has left a car there (can take benefit of Hopscotch 2 ferry ticket).

http://www.calmac.co.uk/hopscotch_route2

Or simply cycle round the island and take ferry back to Weymss Bay. Can decide on the day, before we buy our tickets.

Would be good to also see some of the 9.00 am 30 milers - think it is around 30 something miles round the island so you are all welcome to come along and join us for all or just part of the way!

Hope to see a good bunch!

See you tomorrow 9.45 am at the ferry.

Cheers,

Lesley

So we (myself, Dennis, David and Joyce McKellar) opted for the Hopscotch 2 ticket and started our day by taking the ferry from Weymss Bay to Rothesay and squeezed in a lap of the island, but unfortunatley, our timing meant that we just missed the last few finishers of the TT. Did manage to see a few of our clubmates returning as we headed for the next ferry from Rhubodach to Colintrive.

Joyce waved us off at the ferry and made her way back into Rothesay, whilst David, Dennis and I headed home from Colintrive via Loch Striven, Tarzin Dam and into Dunoon - brilliant roads and hardly a car in sight. Was great to feel the heat of the sun on our backs as we climbed up the drag to the Tarzin Dam. A quick coffee stop in Dunoon before taking the ferry back over to Gourock.

An unfortunate incident with a pier and a pair of zipp wheels :oops: meant a lift home for me at the other side - and let me just say, the sound of crushing carbon would even bring tears to a glass eye!! - I think my days are now numbered :smash. Having stolen David's transport home, he had the pleasure of enjoying the lovely sunny day for a bit longer as he cycled home from Gourock!! 8-) and Dennis headed back to his car at Weymss Bay. A lovely day out and nice to see so many cyclist buzzing around Bute.

Cheers,

Lesley