criterium report, lappedtastic!

Alan McLean

• Committee

The circuit at Glasgow Green was only 800m ensuring tight corners and close racing.

The Joansin posse was Colin and I in the support race and Jim in the National Crit Champs.

Damp but warm morning started with a visit to the Tour of Britain team area to see some real racing cyclists. Much colour and spectacle.

We were led round a neutralised lap then we had mental sprinting for the first few laps and during which a wee gap opened after the first ten riders or so. I saw it happen from about fifteenth place and knew I'd blown it.

Three or four of us then led out a chase to get back on but the gap continued to widen. There were another half dozen riders who sat on and did no work despite "polite" requests to get moving. I think we could have closed the gap with five or six working hard.

We had a quick chat at the front. After the difficult bottom corner followed by a short uphill, by mutual agreement, four of us dug hard and shook off deadweight behind to form a our own wee chasing group of four. We were well organised but eventually lapped by the leading bunch and had an "easy"ride at the back for a few laps.

Eventually the chasing group was down to Stephen (?surname) from Fawkirk and I who shared the work in the last few laps and I just got him in the final sprint.

No idea of my final position or eventaul winner. Colin punctured and provided vocal support, thanks.

Exciting, close racing just below the red line, and sometimes over it.

Saw the start of the National Champs but will let others describe the race.

Alan

Alan/Colin

looked like you were both havin the time of your lifes :uzi , took plenty of pictures of you , can forward them on if you pm me an address (or can e-mail a few), or Colin can drop them in if your out at Faslane on Friday, let me know

well done to you both, easy to see you were both working hard

Hello, beer !! hey some are even in focus Hello, beer !!

Richard

Guest Jim Daly

I got into good position during the "neutral" lap behind Paul Rennie.

But I wasn't willing to take the corners too fast and found myself starting to head backwards and eventually oot the back.

Lost touch with the bunch after 10 minutes at which point my average non-zero power was over 400 watts.

At 18mins it was still over 350 watts. Quite a tough race:shock:

Had a couple of easy laps in the middle behind some other riders.

Pushed hard mainly on my own until I saw the board showing 20 of 60 mins still to go and my wee bubble burst. :oops:

Lapped twice by the bunch and 3 times by the medallists.

If I had wanted an easy ride, I guess I could have eased up to try to grab one of the buses as they went by. :roll:

Lappedtastic, indeed!

Wow that was fun :shock:

Following a missed pedal straight off the start line I got caught behind a faller at turn 2 on the second lap :smash . That was goodbye to the bunch who I saw a further 3 times but they were lapping me :rockets . Got into a group of 4 which included Ruth Fraser-Moodie (former Womens MTB champion) who was the only one of my companions who could corner without touching the brakes :angryfire . Over the following laps at least 2 of them fell off and drastic avoiding action was required.

On one occassion when the bunch came past Ruth's team mate dropped back to pull her away from us. By the time I clocked what was happening they had about a 20m gap. Said team mate then sat up to allow her an advantage and then proceeded to fall off at turn 3 :uzi (you guessed it..... right in front of me).

After all that and deciding that I was at least going to finish to get a position I punctured with about 5 minutes to go :cry: Looking at the results I reckon around 20th would have been my final place.

A big thanks to Richard et all who were providing very vocal support along the start finish straight (amazing what that can do for your willingness to continue) and my MRS who acted as taxi driver & helper for the day Hello, beer !!

A good experience and a style of racing that I think I will definetly have a go at again. Maybe the announcment from the Tour of Britain about some local city centre races will mean a return to the heydays of the past with criterium races all over the country and full television coverage :-P

Colin

• Committee

Colin

I am afraid you got a DNF on the official results but clearly deserved better. Another travesty.

I got a 9th and, oddly, a 14th place as well.( My namesake is from the Glasgow Wheelers).

Great day out. Nice riding if you can hold on to the bunch. Horrible when the gap opens and can't be filled.

A