Blackwood to Peebles and Back 100 Miler - Sunday 13th April

Dennis

Only two weeks to go. :grin:

This run is intended to be a platform for displaying stamina over a very long distance and hilly terrain. High speed is not the priority. The group will keep together, as it did last year, so there won't be sprints off the front, nor plane-crashes at the back. Riding such a distance in this way allows us to 'know ourselves' better over a long distance, and therefore how to handle what other long distance events, such as sportives etc ,may throw at us.

Apart from all that, it will be fun Oh ya dancer !

In order that transport arrangements can be made, here's the when and how:

Sunday 13th April, meeting at the carpark of Blackwood Hall.

The run leaves there at 9.30am, so you should aim to be there for about 9.00. Allow about an hour from the Johnstone area.

Soup, cakes etc afterwards at our place, about 100 yards from the car park.

Directions from Johnstone:

M8 through Glasgow

Follow signs for Carlisle - M73 South

Follow signs for Carlisle - M74 South

Come off M74 at J8 and follow signs for Blackwood

[left at foot of ramp off M74, 300 yards to Canderside Roundabout

turn left on B7078 to Blackwood - 3.5 miles

enter village and turn left after half a mile, at mini cross-roads (Southfield Road)

Car park is 100 yards on the right.]

If you reach Lesmahagow, turn back 2 miles... ;-)

So far we have:

Mike

Chung

Lesley

Frank (verbal)

Please can you post if you would like to come on this ride. It would be great to see you there. 8-)

Oh yes, and just a reminder that there will be a voluntary collection box available, in aid of Wishaw Hospital Cardio Unit. I have been asked by a club member for the name of the appropriate payee for cheque donations, and I hope to have this shortly, and will post later.

Dennis

Hi David,

If your mate is comfortable with bunch riding, and fit enough for the distance, it would be great to see you both there. :grin:

So, we have:-

Mike

Chung

Lesley

Frank

Richard

David

David's mate

me myself

a group from the Royal Albert

Would be great to see more Johnstone Jerseys...

Any more takers? Still spaces available ;-)

Dennis

We currently have 15 names for this event - 9 from JWCC, 5 from Royal Albert and Dave Philip from Dunbar, who was with us on the Wanlockhead weekend. It's shaping up to be a good run and I know the scenery is looking great, even at this time of year.

Here's a link that shows the latest route. The route map says 97.4 miles, but if we go really wide round all the roundabouts, we'll make the 100 ok ;-)

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... /477438075

Further to my previous post, if anyone wishes to contribute to the voluntary fundraising by cheque, can they please make it payable to me. I originally wanted any money raised at this, and a later event I hope to organise, to be given to the NHS Trust charity so they can take advantage of the Gift Aid Scheme, and increase the amount collected by the tax relief. I also requested that such money be applied specifically for the purpose of buying a cardio memo.

Surprisingly, it transpires that the NHS Hospital Trust administrators apparently won't allow fund-raised money to be used for the purpose chosen by an event organiser (but would put such money into a 'general fund'). Therefore, I intend simply to use any money collected to buy a cardio unit directly and give it to the Consultant of the Cardio Unit at Wishaw Hospital. I know he is keen to increase his stock.

Sorry for this long-winded story, but hope as many people as possible will be willing to help in any way they can. Thank you.

Dennis

Thanks to all the riders for participating in this run, and for their kind contributions to the voluntary collection.

Great weather, company and banter. Relatively fresh legs and smiley faces at the end, along with fine food at the final cafe!!! Come with me to the Casbah.

Fund raised money still coming in, but will advise amount collected later.

Here is a link to the pics that were taken at the start, and a bit further down the road.

Dennis

http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj26 ... es%202008/

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again to all who contributed to the fundraising for the cardio memos. The collection box now contains about £200, and I will be matching this to buy a cardio memo for Wishaw Hospital Cardio Unit.

David has kindly offered to try to arrange a matching of the grand total via his firm but this depends on the money being paid to the appropriate NHS Trust Charity which, in turn, depends on whether they will agree to applying it to the cardio memos! :-?

If we can manage all this, then the cardio unit at Wishaw would receive two cardio memos, which I understand would increase their stock by 40%. If not, then I will simply purchase one and hand it in to the consultant at the hospital.

Who needs to be a Philadelphia lawyer then? :shock:

Once I get back from holiday, I'll let you know how it all pans out.

Dennis