Fred Witton update

Darryl Gunson

• 2024 Subscriptions

To those who expressed an interest in riding this event, I've had no contact with the organiser regarding a 'block booking' ,despite e-mail and phone messages left. So iIthink everyone will have to take their chances with individual entries and hope for the best.

Hope to see you there

All best wishes

Darryl

• 2 weeks later...

I see that Darryl Gunson and Mark Whitehead have succeeded in winning a place with the other 798 in this event. Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !

I posted my entry at have past midnight but failed to get a spot.

Ah well, on the bright side it must be good that there are so many cyclist prepared to put themselves through such torture. :smash

Do Darryl and Mark really know what they are in for. If you think the big passes look hhard, wait till you get onto the constant unamed ups and downs in between Whinlatter and Hardnot!

Let me know if anyone fancies trip to thelakes for a sample in April and maybe a few Doonhamers will join you.

I am involved with an easier event the weekend before, The Drumlanrig Tearfund challange. 82 Dumfrieshire miles. ideal as training for the fred Whitton or for those who have retained some sanity and didn't enter.

www.drumlanrig.btik.com a web site in the making.

• 2024 Subscriptions

Hi Mossy

shame you didn't get in. I see John Sturgeon has made it though. Hopefully we'll see him on the day. Actually quite a few of us got in: Donald & Lesley Scally, Frank Kennedy, Arvid (Howie), David McK as well as me and Mark.

Don't know about the others, but I've ridden most of those climbs before and am under no illusions how hard it will be. Hardknott, for example, has some sections that are 1 in 3!! In fact I remember going up there 18years ago on a tourer (without bags) with a triple c/s and i still walked near the top :angryfire

May give you a shout re the April recce and might also do your event too.

All best wishes

Darryl

• 2024 Subscriptions

Great stuff Chung. It is shaping up to be a great day out.

BTW accommodation is likely to be at a premium what with 800 riders looking to start at 8am in Coniston! Me and Mark are in the Coniston Youth Hostel for Sat night. There's still room, but book fast. Also, if you're going to go for the hostel, make sure you don't book Coppermines which is half way up the Old Man of Coniston :shock:. It's the other one you want.

cheers

DG