French cyclosportifs 2007

Scott D

I'd be up for that one Darryl , funny how its the only one i checked out from all the other options Hello, beer !! we must be mad.

The thought of all those climbs with Alpe D'huez in the end :cry:

Best keep the weight down eh :grin:

We could end up back up the Shaly on top of Alpe d'huez......alway an idea.

Let me know what you think.....need to get worked out........ Need to apply for new Dutch passport too :roll:

Cyberman ;-)

Hi Stevie. I fancy the marmotte again. Its just such a lot of fun and a short drive to D'Huez from either Grenoble, Lyon or Geneva airport. To get a low starting number (under 1000) you need to apply before Xmas.

La Vaujany looks good too (in a nearby village, the previous week). So if you could stay for a week or maybe 8 days, you could do both events (maybe the shorter 109km version of La Vaujany instead of 173km if you were inclined) and get climatised.

http://www.vaujany.com/en/hiver/index.php

Looking at the profile for this course I see Alpe d'Huez is at 119km. So I figure I will make my way to Vaujany , and bale out at 119km.. that should be enough :-P

http://www.sportcommunication.com/newsi ... 1&langue=2

When you think about the organised trips (like Baxter's Sporting Tours) it plays on fear of things like support, accomodation, feeding, technical and medical backup. But this comes at a premium (e.g apprpx. £650 for a week including accom and flights). By entering 1 or 2 classic sportifs you've got good support available to you, and proper feed stations, cheaply (more like £300 for a week including accom, flights and entry fees). As well as an enthusiastic crowd cheering you on. The one drawback with going yourself is the need for car hire (split between all travellers) or using taxis or contacting other travellers through cycling forums.

You need to be based in a good area for variety of cycling as you'll tend to do circular routes out and back (has the potential to be repetitive). L'alpe D'Huez is pretty handy for loads of cols as you know, including le deuxs alpe and the cols along the marmotte.

Scott

Even though the sportscommunication website says entries open in Dec for the marmotte, its actually Jan. So something to chew over with the Xmas turkey

Dates issue also discussed on cycling plus

http://www.cyclingplus.co.uk/forum/topi ... _ID=116060

To clarify costs, heres a sample flight from Glasgow to Geneva I noticed on the web.

£110.40

08:30 Depart Glasgow (GLA) Arrive Geneva (GVA) 13:45 Fri 29-Jun

Duration: 4hr 15min British Airways 1832 / 4153 Connect in Birmingham

18:25 Depart Geneva (GVA) Arrive Glasgow (GLA) 22:40 Mon 9-Jul

Duration: 5hr 15min British Airways 2739 / 2968 Connect in London (LGW)

• 3 weeks later...

Entries are now open.. and this year all payment can be made online.

Charges are :

LA MARMOTTE 07/07 174km LA MI-MARMOTTE 76 km 38euros

LA VAUJANY 01/07 173km 109km 32euros

There are lots of other events also on the website:

http://www.sportcommunication.com/GT/in ... p?langue=2

Also, 10euros to get your personal chip (transponder that times you at start and end) per race. No fee if you can get one from someone else whoš already been (just enter chip number on site when registering).

The mini-marmotte is a new event, and might be attractive to club members wanting a shorter run.

In a few weeks I'll be sorting out accomodation on Alpe D'Huez. If anyone else wants to come let me know and I can book multiple rooms. I've only entered the Marmotte so far as I don't know how much holiday I'll have. La Vaujany has a much smaller field, and there is not so much competition for accomodation, so late entry and accomodation booking will not be so difficult to arrange.

Scott