Sewing Bee 2017 #1

Mark O

Gents of the hive,

As we will all be aware the Queen Bee (yes Charlie, that's you) is currently laid up with healing bones. As chief Drone I feel I should kick this ride off for this year, however, I am engaged in another venture for the time beeing and am unlikely to be riding this route as part of a bunch until July. 

I'm not sure if there would be any interest in revisiting this bunch ride this summer. If there is interest could one of the regulars post up. Depending on where I'm at or what the training plan says I should be doing I may tag onto the group at some point, or indeed pass yu going the other way 

For those not in the know the details are as follows

The roll out is on a Tuesday evening at the lights at Morrisons at 18.00. The pace is briskish but maintaining a full bunch. 

The Route - 

Morrisons - track to Howwood exit, onwards to Howwood and up the Bowfield. Usual B roads past Greenacres and then right at the crossroads on the Gleniffer Breas road and down to Lugton. Lugton to Dunlop (unofficial 30). Dunlop to Stewarton (official 30 Sprint) NOTE - new roundabout has been created just outside Stewarton. The 30 sign may also have moved. Left at the crossroads in Stewarton taking Dodside Road over the hill back towards Mearns. Regroup at the white house on corner of Glanderston Road.

While the pace is brisk, the climbs are done as a group and the group generally stays together, working as a unit. Last year the hammer did tend to go down pretty much from the first incline out of Stewarton. In my view that kind of negated the purpose of the bunch ride at that point, with bodies all over the road and weaker climbers effectively sitting up the moment they got dropped, rather than working marginally out of their comfort zone for the whole ascent. Of course suit yourselves but keeping it together until the last ramp to the reservoir was the original aim of the ride.  

Cheers

M