RUBBISH BRAKE blocks

Guest George

I put ultegra brake blocks on my winter bike about 2 months ago.

They have worn down a fair bit but, strangely, the rear left side block has worn down altogether.

Now I know I have a bit more timber to stop than most but should they really wear down so

quickLY and why would one block wear down quicker than the others?

n.b.-Billy, don't give me any of this "if you had bought campag" baloney.

:icon_mooning

Cheers,

George.

• Life Members

George,

I think you have to consider how often you ride your bike (which I think you have been fairly frequent recently) and in what conditions you ride in.

Given the fact that its been rather wet lately, I think its one reason that you ware your brakes faster.

I too had the same problem in the past, but now I have a habit of cleaning the bike after every ride (the rims especially) I find that the pads last longer with clean rims as the dirt can contribute to ware the pads out.

Also, you might want to give other brands of brake pad a try, I use Swiss-Stops Green Pads, excellent product but rather pricey. (But I know you won't mind paying for quality)

Or just try breaking less! (not that I recommend it) :grin:

The fact that one side of your break pads wares out quicker can be due to the set-up of the brakes, I had the same problem too when I found that one side of the pad would reach the rim before the other when applying the brakes. I can't remember how I fixed it. But have a look at your brake set-up.

Cheers

Chung

I can go through a set of block in 2 weeks if the conditions in the winter are right lots of grit and wet roads produce a great grinding past for rims and the block wear. I am doing about 150 miles a week in and out to work just to give you an idea. I would recommend Aztez Blocks & insert for summer & winter as you get a great feel from them and they do not tend to snatch in wet weather. Dooley’s sell them.

Campbell Oh ya dancer !