Tour of Britain - stage 1 4th Sep

An excellent run from Peebles to Dumfries 108 miles following the same route that the pros will be doing next week.

Tom and I went up the night before and stayed in a nice B&B only half a mile from the start.

Awoke in the morning to thick fog!

Set off at the 7:50 and the fog soon cleared as climbed out of the valley after Inverleithen.

We were treated to beautiful views from the top with brilliant sunshine and no wind.

There was one very very steep scary descent and I was not sure my brakes would hold!

The best bit was the descent into Moffat - about 5 - 6 miles at a 7- 8 % gradient. 8 of us in a bunch flying down the hill.

After Johnstonebridge the bunch expanded to 14 as we picked up some riders but many of them were reluctant to take their turn at the front leaving it to the Joansin to lead the way for a lot of the time. Rolled into Dumfries for a food stop and set off on the loop down to Solway Firth. However the bunch did not re-asseble so it was bit of a lone trek although we did manage to hook up with a couple of guys from the Selkirk club and took turns leading.

For the last ten miles there was a following wind and I took off after a young lad from Edinburgh and we cranked it up to 25 mph. At one point I dropped him on a slight incline and had to wait for him to catch up! He was a bit miffed that he had been done by an oldie!

Arrived at the finish in 6 h 34 mins (actual cycling time) with Tom following in only 5 mins behind. Had aimed for 6:45 so happy with the time.

Unfortunately we missed the 15:00 transport back to peebles so we went for a well-deseved pint in the nearby snooker club.

An excellent day out and legs fine today!

Paul C

Well done sounds like a great ride I have done the decent you are talking about it is without doubt one of the best prices of tar in the UK

All the Thursday night pace stuff must of paved off were you smiling when you dropped him