Smartphone cycle apps

james-maclaren

James

I've tried a few on the Android system, the one I always go back to is Cardio Trainer. Its a GPS based system that provides a record of your ride/run etc, incl average/max/minimum speed and auto pause. it gives an overlay onto a map and gives an approximation as to total climbimg as well as the ability to give you splits (per minute).

It also has the bonus of auto pause (ideal for cake stops!!).

the app has proved reliable ie no crashes/freezes to date although i don't know if its available on iphone

Hello, beer !!

Richard

6 May 2011 16:04

Subject: CTC weekly e-newsletter for members included the following item:

Cycling sat-navs

Cambridge-based CycleStreets has had a good week: it has won a bid for £27,000 from Ordnance Survey social initiative GeoVation. The funding will help the organisation build an advocacy toolkit to help groups across the country campaign for better cycling facilities. Also, in addition to its own excellent app for planning cycle-friendly journeys, it has announced an update to its joint venture with Bike Hub, a cycle ‘satnav’ app, which will help users plot circular leisure routes; the app can include points of interest such as National Trust properties, making it an ideal tool for cycle tourists.