Musselburgh RCC Audax 14th Feb

Have signed up for this ride on Sunday, mainly for a change of scene - I've never done any cycling in that area at all.

It's a Brevet Populaire (sub-200km) audax, i.e just a tiddler - not like the proper ones Campbell does :oops: In fact it is 105km which sounds reasonable for the time of year.

I believe Kenny Christie is going and my brother John has also expressed interest

Details on the AUK website

http://www.aukweb.net/cal/index.htm

...and also here:

http://www.musselburghrcc.co.uk/Audax.html

Should be a nice sociable day out with maybe an ice cream at "Ristorante Umberto" which looks like it is the cafe stop according to my route sheet...

Massive turnout for this event today (100-150 riders?). A lot of racing guys out for early-season training although still plenty of audax diehards in evidence as well. The whole thing had more of a reliability/sportive feel to it than a typical audax - no doubt due to the short distance and time of year - sort of like an East Coast version of the Don Smith but with a few extra beards ;-)

First half of the route was very hilly, especially up to the first control point at the top of Redstane Rigg. Second half was considerably flatter with some nice scenic back-roads.

A good day out in good company - also good to see a couple of old faces: Dave Stokes ("Triking Dave") was one of the starters - some of you may remember Dave as one of the organisers of the Katrine Kapers audax. We also bumped into Ronnie Chard - he was in the same starting group as Kenny and I but quickly dropped us and everyone else in the group.