my weekend racing

kelly van der toorn

am I the only one doing anything at the moment????

heres my racing news anyway - cant just put it under road racing cos its a bit more than that....

Hectic weekend: Scottish RR champs Saturday afternoon (50 miler) and a "Sprint" Triathlon in Ayr (750m swim, 20k bike, 5k run) on the Sunday morning. Glutton for punishment that I am, I always seem to get stronger just when I shouldnt do. The road race was ok. I have mixed feelings about it as Im hearing stuff now that adds up to me having been marked and singled out from the word go - as Kat said, thats what I get for joining the wheelers - Im known, and yet Im a relative novice which is a laugh. The race had a few breakaway attempts, all of which got chased down at one stage or another. There was a bit of shouting done by Katie Wylie and Shona Robson mainly, and there were 3 Edinburgh roads girls determined to do no work at all. I was also keen to avoid working and soft pedalled whenever I took a turn on the front. The only work I did was upping the speed a bit on hills to stay with the pack. So, knowing there was an uphill drag before a flat sprint finish, I attempted to take a flyer from the back as we came down the fast descent, with a mile and a half to go. Katy et al jumped on my wheel and then EVERYONE boxed me going up the hill and I started the sprint at the back going into the last corner. Fortunately I corner better than most so took the shortest line and scraped back a couple of places going for the line. Moral: sit in and wait for the sprint - I might not be world class at sprinting but Im probably better than most of them.

Next day, new story. Woke with a stiff hip for some reason, and wondered how it would be on the run. Decided to take the race less seriosly and took my Principia for another outing. Id heard the course had a few hills so figured I could just tuck in on the drops instead of time trialling, and I climb better on my road bike - tend to grind a bit on the Giant as the gears are a bit massive!

River swim in dodgy water - that reminds me I must drink some coke to kill the dodgy bacteria - Came out of the swim with Vicky Begg but was quicker in transition, as I use the pro method of pre-clipping shoes onto my bike and slipping my feet in whilst pedalling down the road. Bike was uphill and headwind all the way out (small chainring and feeling a bit pathetic to be honest) then as I reached the turn and hadnt seen anyone come by I figured I was going alright! Then one of the marshalls shouted 1st lady at me - which is always good for morale, so I whacked it into the big chainring, thats the one you shouldnt be using at the moment, and flew all the way back to the run transition. Brilliant. Now, bearing in mind Ive run once in the past month, the run was bound to hurt me. Uphill, downhill, off road, up again and I was flying down towards the finish contemplating a sweet victory, when the marshalls made me (and everyone) do an extra dog leg. 'Bugger' as Big Jim would say. This was just enough to make my legs start to go wobbly - and I dared to look over my shoulder as I came into the finishing straight with 400m to go. 'B*****ks' as Kelly would say. Id been chased down for 2 minutes on the run by ex World Duathlon Champion Fional Lothian. I shook her tiny elf like hand as she cruised past me in the way that only a 7 stone runner can, and beat me by 6 seconds. I didnt realise there was another waif like gazelle closing in on me, but beat her in any case - Diana MacPherson a South African Elite long distance triathlete who is married to a Scot and stays in Edinburgh.

Ive never been under 19 minutes for a 5k, and today I clocked 20.27 - in fact Ive never been under 20 in a triathlon, so was chuffed to bits. These runner types clocked 18.27, and 19.27 - and I had the 3rd fastest female run split. I also had the quickest swim and 3rd quickest bike (but we're talking seconds here and I didnt have tri-bars, remember)

Overall times were 1.10.33, 1.10.39, 1.10.48 and think Vicky was 4th @ about 3minutes.

No, Im not taking up triathlons instead of cycling, I just like to go and annoy the triathletes from time to time!!

• Members

Well done Kelly , take a well deserved rest till next weekend 8-)

On Sunday the wheelers men were in action at lake of Menteith APR

Donald Scally got a fine 2nd. place

with Scott Donaldson a splendid 6th. ( he mistimed gallop or would have been in 3rd-4th.)

The 2 novice riders Paul Mcskimmin g and Steve Hickey finished just off the back of the bunch. Steve faltering at Rob Roy roadend with 4 miles to go and Paul on the last ascent of Flanders moss with 2 miles to go.

A good showing from the clubs riders in round 4 of the Scottish leader Tour.