Volunteers Sought....

man5e

I received the following mail message as Club secretary. Attached was an information sheet. If anyone would like the info sheet and contact for the person doing the experiments can you mail me and I will pass on the details to you.

I am a postgraduate student working in the Institute of Diet, Exercise and Lifestyle at the University of Glasgow. We are currently looking to recruit 10-20 experienced male endurance cyclists for a study starting early in the New Year investigating the interaction of nutritional supplements and training and thought this study may be of interest to some of your club members. Specifically we are interested in whether supplementation with Green Tea Extract during training can enhance the adaptation to training. The basic rationale is that during single bouts of exercise Green Tea Extract has been shown to increase the use of fat as fuel and this is also one of the desired outcomes from aerobic endurance training. I have attached an information sheet to give some more detail about what the study entails. Essentially, as well as tests of performance and physiological function before and after training, the subjects would need to complete two periods of 4 weeks of training while supplementing with either Green Tea Extract or a placebo, this is known as a cross-over experimental design. The subjects do not all need to do the same training programme as each other, we would discuss the appropriate training programme with each subject and provide them with a turbo-trainer and/or power output measurement device (e.g. powertap hub) in order to monitor their training. We could also offer the use of our lab and computrainer setups a couple of nights a week during the training periods. In addition we would be happy to offer some exercise physiology support to your club/individual members who participate as a thank you for taking part. Would it be possible either to organise a time to come and speak to your club members or could you to circulate this information and the attached information sheet to your members?