Mull/Oban Weekend Report

Lesley Scally

Donald, myself and Chung left for Oban on Friday night, meeting up with Dennis and Dave in the pub later on to plan our route round the Island for the next day.

Saturday 5th July - Mull

We boarded the 9.30 am ferry from Oban to Craignure and once on Mull, opted to head in a clockwise direction in order to get the full benefit of a strong tailwind to help push us up the first of many climbs. After getting the first 2 climbs under our belts, we struggled into a strong headwind along the coast towards Salen, before turning North West and heading along some lumpy and challenging roads towards the North end of the island. We then decsended into Calgary Bay (white sand and clear blue water) for some much needed lunch. After lunch, having already done the hardest part of the route, we headed towards Dervaig and along a less lumpy road back to the ferry where we were briefly joined by a couple of local guys glad of some company. Made it back to the ferry with half an hour to spare where we chatted to a guy from Belgium who was cycle touring round Scotland. Back to B&Bs and then out for a much deserved meal and a few drinks. Great scenery, roads and even managed to have a dry day. Total of 82 miles.

Sunday 6th July - North Oban

With an offer from some local cyclists to give us a tour of the quiet North Oban roads, we opted to join them instead of heading to Kinloch Moidart. Seven of us (me, Donald, Chung, Dennis, Dave (friend of Dennis), Les Muir and Ian Murphy (Oban firefighters) headed out the back of Oban. They took us out and about some great back roads and then onto Castle Stalker cafe where we had some lunch and took in the lovely views. Upon leaving the cafe we were joined by Jim Montgomery and Robert (another Oban firefighter) and the 9 of us headed back to Oban via Port Appin and Connell along some more brilliant back roads. Total of 57 miles again in dry weather with just a few minor spits of rain as we approached Oban.

Overall great weekend cycling on interesting roads, lovely views and fun company. I think we got the best of the weather and even enjoyed a drink in the sunshine at Loch Awe on our way back down the road on Sunday evening.

Here is a link to a few pictures of the weekend:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lscally1/JW ... n5thJuly08

Cheers,

Lesley

Fantastic Report Leslie Oh ya dancer !

I was over Mull a few months ago at easter with Les and tackled that route round mull.

Such stunning views round the isle but it has a tough price to pay as its such demanding challenge too.Defo nearly landed my head into the dinner plate later that night as my eyes struggled to keep open :grin: