Pensioners away day

Kenny MacDonald

• Members

A chance for a last wee day oot pre holiday yours truly and Bill T enjoyed a pensioners day oot in Argyle :shock:

We had expected the bard of Johnstone to join us but he failed to appear ? :roll:

So it was left to Jack & Victor to walk the gangplank at Gourock , where a heavy swell made it a treacherous walk down the gangplank.

We hadnt even set sail when people were being sick over the back and weans were screaming. We met old Tommy Kneebone from the Greenock road club on board and enjoyed his company on sail to Kilcreggan.

Straight off ferry and it was uphill over to Rosneath.

A favourable tailwind Oh ya dancer ! meant a quick run to bottom of Whistlefield and first climb of the day.

Time seemed to fly by and we were on the Rest where Bill slipped into my slipstream and in para handy style demanded " mair steam mcphail" unfortunately his legs didnt match his mouth ;-)

Never the less a steady wind assisted climb brought us to summit and decision time , Bill said that "hells glen was just as quick as main road " aye but a wee tad hillier thought me :shock:

Hells glen is a true gem of a road especially when weather is good and traffic is light. The severity of its climbs were lost in the marvels of its beauty in full boom.

The views at summit are outstanding with views across to Inveraray and beyond 8-)

Big ring all the way to Strachur and a refill of bottles at garage before heading down the loch into headwind :oops:

Bill had said pre run that it would rain at 1pm , and how bloody right he was :angryfire

The last 5 miles were in a cloudburst :smash and the last run in from Sandbank were into a ferocious headwind :rockets

Soaked thru we hogged the radiator on the ferry attempting to dry out :cry:

Conditions were so bad that the RNLI got on board along with us :shock:

thankfully they were only collecting funds , although the guy came in and told us rain was off when he collected donation. Then came back 2 minutes later to say it was actually worse now :uzi and refused to give us a refund for miss information.

A quick dash along to Bill,s Range Rover ( the one with all mod cons including heated seats :shock: ) and I was persuaded to take a lift home . Honest he had to twist my arm very sore before I succumbed to the super soft leather heated seats ;-)

A tough day out with superb scenery which wasnt spoiled by the late rain, looking forward to my next outing in 2 weeks.

ps its a lovely day here in Skye Oh ya dancer !