Ayr Duathlon

vicky begg

The Wheelers were well represented at Ayr Duathlon yesterday, held in the pleasant surroundings of the agricultural college at Auchincruive. That's a 5k run, 20k bike, 5k run

Alan Maclean achieving his long awaited dream of a podium position - 3rd male vet (in the hotly contested vet's section this is no mean feat!). He was 7th male overall. 1 hour 19m 28sec.

Tony Carrigan in his first duathlon event (somebody told him running was easy!!) . 1 hour 39min 49sec.

Myself 2nd lady. Had a bit of a mechanical mare on the new bike, including having to get off on a hill. 1 hour 25min 09sec.

It was well run and round a good route on the bike - hilly, windy, all left hand turns. Why aren't more time trials held on these roads? They may not give the fastest times but everyone has to ride the same route and the best rider still wins.

• 2 weeks later...

Vicky you are right it was an excellent TT course, much more interesting than battering up and down a dual carriageway.

I really enjoyed the cycling leg, mainly I think because my legs were absolutely lowping after the run and it was such a relief to use different muscles!!

Anyway I will probably see u and Alan on Sunday at the Bishopbriggs triathlon. I am in the numpty (Novice) event. :oops::oops::oops: