Cycling in Renfrewshire

Guest fatblokeonbike

Guest fatblokeonbike

Dear All,

At the official opening of the Lochwinnoch section of National Cycle Route 7 on Wednesday 13th August, I seemed to be the only one there from a Renfrewshire cycling club, so had no competition when handing out "Join the Johnstone Wheelers!" slips. One I gave to John Grimshaw, Executive Director of Sustrans www.sustrans.org.uk/webcode/home.asp had an unexpected result.

Grimshaw took me to one side and told me that Sustrans is now looking to develop a whole new network of cycle-paths in Renfrewshire. For starters, a route he is particularly interested in is from Bishopton to Johnstone (I don't think it's solely for my benefit!) but he's looking for advice on a five-year plan for the whole Paisley area and Renfrewshire in general.

As you may know, Sustrans is recognised by National Governments and Local Authorities and has access to The Money, and John Grimshaw is a serious bloke, he wants feedback, so this is your chance to make a positive contribution to the national cycle network. From now on, whenever you hear yourself thinking "Why don't they...?" that's the time to pass on a suggestion. Don't forget, though, National Cycle Routes are intended for yer av'rage family cyclist so 1-in-6 slopes are out!

I appreciate that most Club members whistle along at speeds highly unsuitable for cycle-paths, but your children and family, and tourists in Renfrewshire, arriving and leaving by train and plane, are a different matter altogether.

Here's your starter for ten: once you come South over Erskine Bridge there's not a lot of the National Cycle Network available to you. What links would you suggest for a new cycle-path from there to, say, Paisley, and Glasgow?

Chances like this don't come around too often - get involved with this one. As you go about Renfrewshire on your training rides, have a think about possible routes from Here to Over There; now's your opportunity to have a real and lasting influence on cycling in your own area.

Yooors,

Iain.

• Members

Calling Pat Boyle

as a resident of Erskine and a some times cyclist how about giving your opinions on posible route. :wink:

Through Smiddy to St. James?

Through Inchinnan via swing bridge to join up at Airport?

any other suggestions?

Through RNAD to join at Brookfield or B.O.W.

let's know of any other options