29er Mountain Bikes

Fraserreid

Ah know for many Mountain Bikes are Sacrilege.................. but I was wondering if anyone has riden the new style 29er mountain bikes with 700c style wheels. Am thinkin of investing in a new mountain bike and was considering getting a "Big Wheeled" version, but know of no-one who has ridden one so far......... has anyone on the bunch experienced one yet, and if so, how was it? :!:

Cant say I have Fraser but interestingly one of the competitors at last weeks world xc championship was riding one,looked strange to say the least,but was still in there at the finish.Dont know if I buy into the whole big wheel thing,unsure as to whether it will take off or will it be a bit of a phase that will die off sooner than later.Think long and hard what type of riding you are most likely to do and buy wisely and accordingly.Good luck with whatever you choose.Try enquiring on Singletrack world forum for answers to your query,likely to be more on there who may have tried them out.Cheers. 8-)

Well apparently penny farthings were ultra good on those old farm tracks....

Theory says a larger wheel has less rolling resistance -probably on everything but a glass smooth surface.. think about it ... which would ride up over a kerb better a mountain bike wheel or a 12" wheeled kiddies bike...

There comes a point when the extra weight of the bigger rim / tyre is too much.... centre of gravity might be a problem too....

The 26' mtb is historic... in the days of freewheels and crappy wheels the smaller wheel was available, cheap and relatively strong (partly due to the smaller diameter)

ss