tli British RR Championships 21-7-07

Guest Jim Daly

Guest Jim Daly

Mossy put on 3 good races yesterday to establish Britain's best in age groups.

Paul McDonald went in the first race including 23 to 44 years old racers. Euan Pope won his category and sported his new jumper in the Lochwinnoch cafe.

I went in the second for 45 to 54 years plus youths/juniors, over a course of about 44 miles. From the start, Davie Whitehall went clear off the front and won the 45-49 age category. He took 3 with him but one apparently punctured and one was also dropped.

The bunch was a bit negative, with 3 from one team having two in the early break. I tried ,unsuccessfully, attacking to catch the breakaway with RG McLean. Had another much longer break with RG but was caught again by the bunch who then just sat on. Another attempt to catch a solo Jamie McQueen was again spoiled by the reactive bunch.

Finally, with about 18miles to go, a very quick escapee from the following 55's and over race went off the front with the dropped rider from the first break. I attacked up the hill and as a group of 3 we put 2 minutes into the bunch.

Ultimately, I got dropped but made it to the finish line a few minutes clear for 4th place.

Paul will have to update us on his efforts, because I had to rush to a wedding reception, after missing the awkwardly timed ceremony.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Well done Jim. The 19-44 race was very agressive throughout with numerous attacks and regroups. Eventually it split into a number of groups as we grovelled round towards the line.

Far as I know I was second in my age group but as I left sharpish afterwards I'll need to wait and see the results !

catch you soon

PMcD

Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !