Big Hello from Rimini

Stevie Blom

Stevie.. its the secret training thing again. I don't know what your talking about 8-)

Thats the first time I've been back to Hotel Belverdere in Rimini since the refurbishment. I wasnt going to mention the visit as I know how depressing the scottish winter has been and I didn't want to bore everybody with the details. I cant find my lead to connect digital camera to computer at the moment, but when I can I'll post a few pics.

I have some pics with Fed Morini (the ex-gerolsteiner pro who broke his back in a crash a few years ago). "Fred" is a great guy, fully recovered to a level of fitness just below pro, and took the long-fast group out most days. I went out with the wee 59kg coach Owen into the hills on a few days, and we were lucky to cover 100km on a 4 hour ride; on the flats pedalling into a headwind we were often sitting at 15mph. Then Fred arrived, and I joined him and 5 Swiss racers, and we were strung out on the flat, as Fred pedalled into a headwind at 24mph ! I had a great laugh with him, and I told him it was my grandmas bike I was riding. All the Swiss guys thought the bike was a joke also (Bike Friday pocket rocket pro) but although its a folding bike with tiny 20" wheels it runs on a Dura-ace capreo setup 53x9 (or 110 inches or around a 52x12 in real bike terms). On the day of Marina's picnic we did the San Leo route (shortcutting the grillo pass) in 3 hours arriving at her house totally wasted after team time trial along the motorway for 30km (Marina is the boss and you cant be late for her or there will be trouble). Rolling resistance becomes a factor with the folding bike above 25mph, with the slightly wider tyres, so I was happy just to hang on at the back. Reminded me that I should have been training more over winter, but how to stay motivated in crap weather unless I'm as crazy as you stevie !

The night before I left I sat in the bar with Fred watching the Celtic-Milano game, talking about all kinds of stuff. This is his Gran Fondo.

http://www.granfondoaltavalledeltevere.it/home.html

Fred got me up to date on the latest nutritional advice as he does a lot of work with some Austrian sports institute. For example, he rubbished the recovery drinks on the market (3:1 carbs:protein) saying the body needs simply sugars after training, with proteins being injested 4 hours later. At the same time protein and carbs just forces blood to the stomach and complicates digestion. So after training just have pasta or energy drink, a lie down, and eat protein later he says.

Enjoy your trip Stevie!

Cheers, Scott

Hi Scott,

My report is on the Kooriers web forum.

Just back and 5th time round i enjoyed it very much.

Yeah ive known Fred for a while as i email him regualr for advice.... also Felice Peiti the super climber was there ... sit on his wheel for as long as you can mate then die up hill.

Fred was very open to me with regards to pro cycling and all other espects of it.

Amazing how he came back from being told he would never walk again.

He was great to train with , he gave me lots of tips how to increase strength and speed with recovery.

Mind you thrashing out the 53 x 18 up hill for 5 days solid takes its toll :oops:

Very interesting indeed for us amatuers, i thought i had not bad fitness untill i was constantly over taken by vets up these mountains at a hell of a speed.Scary stuff.!!!!!

I asked Marina about a deal for a Da Rosa King full Bike with Campaq Record.

Mate she has sold me a full bike X team 1yr old use via Christiano Da Rosa For 1500 Euro...... for regualr customers only!!! See my 5th visit has paid off :lol:

Went to Magani's bike shop and bought ITM Carbon bars for 95 Euro!!!! Pick that out man!!! Took his business card , super deals from Italia.

Owen the Tour Guide was asking for you , i had probably the best cycling days of my life with great company.

Will catch up with you soon man , :roll: :

Stevie B>