cycling to Oban

Liability

I might do this this summer. anyone cycled to Oban before ?

I'm keen to know which route is easiest (ie least lumpy :shock: ) especially for the trip there,ferry to catch,must make it on time. bit more relaxed about homeward bound trip.

In my mind's eye the Inveraray route is easier than the Crianlarich road although slightly longer- think that I might be talking boz though

anyone ?

Steve

Cycled to Tobermoray last august. The route I went was Erskine Bridge, Helensburgh, up to Arrochar, over "the rest" through Inveraray, along Loch Awe past Cruachan Power stn, turn left at Taynuilt onto back road into Oban through Strontoiler and Glencruittein.

Pretty unlucky in that I got a NW-erly all day so no head wind pretty much all the way. Main climbs are the "rest" and out of Inverary up to Loch Awe. Bit of a downer when you climb up to Loch Awe then have to go in the opposite direction for a while to get on to the A85 when you can see the road straght across the other side of the Loch.

Great Cycle though!!!

Guest Jim Daly

Hi Steve

I cycled to Oban in 1982, as part of a mini tour of Scotland. As I recall, it was 104 miles from my home in Paisley and was planned to minimise climbing (with panniers). My longest cycle ride at that time would have been around 10miles in order to play golf.

I took the Gourock-Dunoon Ferry and went North up Loch Eck and then round Loch Fyne to Inveraray. Oban seemed close by so I pressed on. The route was not entirely without hills but very pleasant.

Unfortunately, for the last 6 desperate miles, no quantity of chocolate was enough to coax my legs through the "wall".

Jim