Paisley 10K Runners

David McKellar

This Sunday 28th August sees the annual Paisley 10K runners road race take place at 10.00am from Paisley Cross. The club has been asked if we can supply a rider to lead out a wheelchair athlete around the course.

Club colours should be worn, it will be a nice bit of publicity for the club and support for a good local event.

Anyone interested please let me know by PM or on the bunch, I am any at the weekend doing the Pedal for Scotland with Simon, Edinburgh and back so I cannot help out with the 10K.

Here is a link to the race route.http://www.kilbarchanaac.org.uk/Paisley ... %20Map.pdf

Dearie me as Jim B would say!

got out ma warm bed and drew back my new curtains to find that its howling down with rain and blowing an octa 7 gale.

Bugger me ive got to head into paisley.

So off i go to complete a suicidal route into paisley to meet up with Gordon the bloke who was competing in this great race with a wheel chair.

Although it was bad weather for this event many people still turned up in the hundreds to support everyone taking part.

Quite an eye opener - Gordon needed a bit of help so i offered my assistance anyway i could to help in prepare.

10am and the Q-96 DJ starts to introduce us both on the mega-phone.

as i stould on the start line the lively crowd began to cheer and create a sporting atmosphere.

Off we go - it was my job to shout the directions and stay about 10 -15 metre's ahead off him.

Would you trust and rely on me for directions after my 25 mile TT performances this year ;-) - off course and all that.

10 km is about 6 miles.

the route was up gilmour street round to the mill street police station down by bridge street by the Toon hall and a swift down hill by dooleys onto underwood rd.

Head to wards ferguslie park behind asda then on to the fulbar road and onto the Cycle track heading back to gilmour street up the steep climb just before leisureland.

Now we got a 5 minute lead on the rest of the field but due to the wind conditions it was very very hard for Gordon to keep up a high pace - just like doing a TT into a headwind so it did not take long before the Elite runners to come by at some speed.

Race was very well Marshalled with the aide of Police and other helpers.

Roads where closed but we had some problems with Kerbs etc so he needed help to be lifted etc.

Once we got onto the bike track at Fulbar road we began to catch up a huge bunch of runners who where beginning to feel the legs slowing them down but since it was a tail wind gordon began to speed.

Due to lack of space it was suicidal for him hammer it down the track with others doing there best to run. As you can imagine some Runners got pretty sore ankles.

The main climb up toward leisureland was brutal - he required just about all his strength to tackle this and was moving very very slow.

So people who where supporting it gave him support including the Runners themselves.

As we got on to the cobbles stone of the high street Gordon gave it everything

as he jetted off and dropped me :cry:

Then i thought ach well that is then - i will just say cheers welldone and head up the road.

Ohno - The big man steamrolled it to the finish line and as i looked up ahead

he flattened several gubbed runners who got shelled like skittles !! :shock:

My heart was in my mouth - but that wasnt it!! He yanked the breakes lost control and got catapulted out of his chair followed by a 360 (would have got 10/10 in the olympics) and landed at the side of the crash barrier.

Corwd was going mental when he approached the finish line and the DJ from Q-96 was egging him on to give it everything but he lost the power of speach when he witnessed runners being punted and him being flung in the air.

Bizzare! - he was ok and laughed it off - as for the runners well they where just happy that he was alive.

Good experience.

Stevie B.

Fasted time recorded (runner) was 31 minutes thats not far off a 5 minute mile - Tremendous effort! Some people cant do that on a bike!