Invitation to participate in Paisley Velo festive events

Surly Steve

Hi Fellow cyclists

On behalf of your friends at the Velo I would like to invite you to take part in two events we are putting together over the festive period.

Firstly we will have the Clubs first ever organised event from last year. That being the " Mountain bike mayhem " event

We hold this at Glenifer Braes, meeting at the Robertson car park.

We had a track marked out at it was a timed event. A very cold but dry day last year was fairly well attended and we look forward to having a great time again. Billy " Bagel Basket " MacDonald won last year. Will he manage again this year ?

Proposed date Sunday 30th December meet at the car park for 10 am

We will ask for a small fee of £3.00 to cover some hot food and drinks afterwards

So come along and join in. A mountain bike or a cyclo cross bike to take part. Bring change of gear obviously.

Second - A new event to the Velo's calander and its first ( as far as we know ) introduction to the world. A new sport in the making perhaps ?

" Cyclingteering "

We propose to introduce this on Sunday 6th of January.

Our planned " Cycleteering " event will start at 9am. We will set off from Gateside.See info below.

For those wishing to cycle up you can meet me at the shop ( Q BIKES ) at 8.20 / 8.30 at the latest.

Not a lot of areas to park at by the way so cycling up is probably the best thing to do.

This event will be a mixture of the ancient Tourist Trial runs with a tincture of APR thrown in for interest. Also, we will resurrect the ‘Drum-up’ at the start/finish; everybody likes a wee bonfire!

So, you will choose what group you wish to join for the run of 42.6 miles (two laps of the circuit described below):

Group 1. This group will set off at 9 am and maintain an average speed of 15 mph. The course should therefore take you 2hrs 50mins.

Group 2. This group will set off at 9.24 am and maintain an average speed of 17.5 mph. The course should therefore take you 2hrs 26mins.

Group 3. This group will set off at 9.42 am and maintain an average speed of 20 mph. The course should therefore take you 2hrs 8mins.

If each group achieves its set average speed, then everyone will arrive back at 11.50 am.

A Cycling based conundrum will need to be solved and the best answer will receive a gift.

Start at Blaelochhead on the B777, half-way between Lugton and Gateside.

Head west towards Gateside.

Turn left at Beith onto the A737.

Continue south-west on A737 until the Manrahead roundabout.

Take first exit and continue on A737 towards Dalry.

After approximately 2.8 miles, at Highfield, turn left onto the Route 7 Cycle Route towards Kilwinning.

Continue for approximately 4.5 miles until the B778, and then turn left towards Auchentiber.

Continue along B778 for approximately 4.3 miles until A736 at Auchentiber, then turn left towards Lugton.

Continue for approximately 4.8 miles until Lugton, then turn left onto B777 and back to the start of the circuit.

Repeat the above circuit for a total mileage of 42.6 miles

More info to follow

I will post a map on this thread soon

Hope some of my old cycling buddies can take part

I will take this opportunity to wish you and your families a very merry christmas and a happy new year. All the best

Stevie McFarlane