Paisley begginer

fawlty

Hi I'm looking to get into road cycling. Almost 50, average fitness. I wondered if there were any groups or runs suitable for me ? It would of course help if I had a bike. !!! I've got a trek hybrid bike but would be very interested if anyone has a road bike suitable for a 5' 9" begginer for sale. Cheers Tom

Hi Tom.

Welcome along.

If you look at the Club Runs section, you'll find all you need to know.

The 30 milers would be ideal for you. Don't worry about coming along on your hybrid to start with.

As for buying a road bike, have a look at the Wanted/For Sale section. If there's nothing there, post up what you're looking for.

Club run tomorrow morning ... :)

Hi I'm looking to get into road cycling. Almost 50, average fitness. I wondered if there were any groups or runs suitable for me ? It would of course help if I had a bike. !!! I've got a trek hybrid bike but would be very interested if anyone has a road bike suitable for a 5' 9" begginer for sale. Cheers Tom

whats your budget m8 give ppl an idea and they might be able to point you in direction of best deal

Thanks Ian , was hoping for something that would do me for a year or two for £300 to £400. Have also been looking at new bikes around the £500 mark. Specialized Allez, Giant Defy 5, Trek 1.1 and Raleigh Airlight 100. Offers and advice very welcome :) Thanks Tom

Before buying decide what you want to do with it

Do you want to race? Ride 100 mile sportives

Once you decided what you want pick bikes that will suit the chosen style

The spend as much as you can afford noting big name frames equal low quality wheels and group sets unless you spend big

Look on e bay and others as you might find a bargin

IM in the same boat tom not looking to race i done that when i was younger , So today i went and picked up a brand new carrera Tds thats selling in halfords for 499 but guy had only used it for about 5 miles did not like the drop bars and i bought it off him for £250 not bad considering its only weeks old

put a pair of raceblades on it so should do as a starter/winter bike see how i get on with the youngsters on a club run before i commit to joining the club

ps: might get fit enough to look at racing next summer but see what happens