Etape du Tour training

DaveP

Folks,

I am trying the etape du tour this year, Modane to Alp d'huez. As I have never cycled in France, and I don't want to do this route blind, so I am popping over in June for some training. I am staying in Valloire, and planning to do the 3 climbs, Telegraph, Galiber, and Alp d'Heuz over the week.

I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions of any other Col's to try since I am in the region.

Also any hill climbing training tips would be useful.

Cheers

Dave

From Valloire, you can do the Madeleine, Toussuire (where Landis went pop!), Croix De Ferre and Glandon and even (if you're prepared for a long day/a drive) the Izoard or Deux Alpes.

You picked a great place to stay! I think I've still got my Michelen map of hte area marked up somewhere if you want it.

Was over that way a couple years back and managed to climb up some of the Col's :-o with Richard B over a long weekend.

We got up deux Alps, d'Izoard and others.

From memeory deux Alps can be done from d'Oisans in an afternoon.

The day we bagged d'Izoard was icon_bounce_3 . Started at Briancion and climed over d'Izoard and past Coppi's memorial down into Guillestre and then back into Briancon. This loop done in reverse would be just as scenic.

G