Arthur Campbell Memorial Road Race, Mearns

Guest Jim Daly

Guest Jim Daly

Another chance to see a big race close to home on Saturday.

HQ for race is Malletsheugh Inn, Newton Mearns, with 5 laps of A77 to Malletsheugh and Old Stewarton Rd circuit. Starts 10:00am. Over 85miles, including neutralised and return. I'll be the one near the back, again.

Turn right towards Old Stewarton Rd from Malletsheugh.

Turn left onto Dodside Rd (B769, known as old Stewarton Rd).

Feed station at quarry about 3km along B769

Turn left 4km before and to the North of Stewarton.

Turn left back onto A77about 2-3km North of Fenwick.

Follow A77 North towards Malletsheugh but turn left just before

Guest Jim Daly

Smallish field of maybe 40 odds, inc late entries, today but not slow. Robbie Hassan won from a break of 7 who got away almost before the flag was drawn in. They averaged over 25mph for the 70 odd miles of the shortened 4 and a bit lap race.

I put a lot of effort into a couple of attempted breaks on lap 2. Managed to sneak off the front 3k short of Malletsheugh and was joined by Jamie Kennedy, Andrew Leith and Derek Walker. I thought my luck was in, when James McCallum arrived and really drove on the pace. Unfortunately, there were too many fast guys in the bunch and we were swamped after about 5km. J McCallum got off his bike soon after.

Another strong break of around 6 that had got away after a couple of miles on lap 1 up the quarry climb, including Callum Wilkinson and brothers Peter and Gordon Murdoch, was brought back by the bunch of about 20 on the 3rd lap. I didn't miss a turn chasing them down the A77 at very high speed.

I was really only capable of hanging on during lap4 where we got within 45secs of the lead break. About half a mile from the finish, I finally cracked and limped home about a minute after the bunch. I should have taken 2 big, instead of small bottles.