Spin classes, Krazy Kev's monthly special!

Scott D

A good alternative / addition to turbo training this winter is spin classes. Available at most bigger gyms, spinning is held in studios with typically 20-30 people on special fixed wheel bikes, which ergonomically are quite close to racing bikes. Saddles and handlebars are adjustable, and pedals usually come with toeclips. The bike has a main fly wheel to which you can apply more or less resistance by turning a break knob to imitate different cycling conditions. "Spin" is a brand name, and usually requires class instructors to have received some certification before being allowed to take classes, although the quality of instruction can vary. The instructor usually has a headset and microphone, and the class is held to uptempo dance or rock music. Rumours that special endurance classes are often held to Hawkwind CDs have never been proven :P

Several gyms in city centre, including Esporta (Finnieston), Living Well (Charing X) and Healthlands (Bath St) have classes. I've tried classes at a few gyms in the past, but having recently joined Healthlands wanted to give Krazy Kev's monthly special "endurance spin" session a go. Each month Kev runs a special 90 minute session, not for the squeamish :-} I was interested to see how a class run by a cyclist would compare with previous classes I've tried. Kevin Henderson used to race heavily (1st cat road racer and Glasgow Nightingale rider) but now spends all his time as a personal trainer.

:!: The class was quite outrageous. The first 40 minutes culled off half the class, and it was all the maniacs and babes with nice a*ses who stayed for the second half. Kev's approach seemed to be quite simple.. go really fast for a few minutes, then turn up the resistance and get out of the saddle for the rest of the class :? Every minute that passes he asks you to turn the resistance up, so by the end your gritting your teeth begging for your mamma. Periodically he tells you your approaching the top of a hill, and have to speed up to break away from the group.. ending in a hilltop sprint. For fun he has you climb out of the saddle and then sit down again, every 10 secs for 10 minutes :shock: . While the dance music tics away at 120bpm, he gives encouragement over his microphone like "fatigue is just a state of mind", "be true to yourself, turn the resistance up", "ignore the pain, 30 minutes to go". I had my pulse monitor with me, av pulse including recovery periods was 166.. max 188 (4 from my max!). Chatting to him after the class, Kev was saying he's so busy with personal training that he doesnt race any more. He was asking about Brian Smith, but I could only tell him what I'd read from his emails to various forums. At the end of the class a pool of water surrounded the bike, I was totally drenched in sweat, and I could feel my trainers squelching as I headed back to the changing rooms :roll: . Very demanding but also a lot of fun.. having the class run by a real cyclist made a big difference.

:idea: I'm going to try and get a few 1 day guest passes in case other club members fancy coming along to give the classes a try. Let me know if anyone is interested. I'm sure you could blag a few passes from some of the trainers if you say your interested in joining the gym 8) . Endurance classes are from 6.00-7.30 on the last wed of each month.

Scott