Gym work.. when the bike's not enough

Scott D

With winter approaching I thought I would start a thread on gym work, in case members are interested in specific training programmes over the winter period. I'm pitching this email at beginners new to weights, so this might not be of interest to experienced gym users.

Maybe some people scoff at weight training ("thats what the big ring is for"), but I think using leg weights is one of the easiest ways to measure P2WR (power to weight ratio). Certainly most cycle improvement programmes talk about this metric as being one of the most important (along with VO2max, but whos got a lab at home?) and usually the cyclist with the best ratio is one of the people dictating the pace on hill climbs (since its strength / resistance focused). Lance Armstrong's training programme book talks about his efforts to lose weight yet retain strength, thereby increasing his P2WR. Chris Boardman's "Complete book of cycling" talks about "Mr Measurement's" attempts to lose weight prior to the TDF, and how he inadvertently lost power also. A simple way to measure this ratio is using the legpress ( :arrow: http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/lpress.htm) in the gym, as the move uses several of the muscles in the pedal stroke (mainly the quadricept, but also knee and hip extensors). The ratio is based on 1Rep, but to avoid injury (especially knee injury, be careful) it is best to do it based on 10 reps, and multiply the weight being pressed by 1.25. This gives an approximation of a max load. Beginners to weight training can expect to be able to handle a load of 1.5 times body weight in the legpress (eg. simple P2WR index of 1.5), meaning a 80kg man should be able to push 120kg once, or 96kg 10 times. Average club racers should have an index around 2-2.5, great competitors should have an index of 2.5 to above 3. Lance weighs about 74kg, and can legpress 20reps over 200kg (an index that brings a tear to the eye :shock: ). Expect different ratios for women. Purists would point out that you should be riding a bike with meters measuring power output, left/right leg power distribution etc, but again this isn't really available to the average cyclist.. perhaps JWCC could arrange a trial session with one of these devices for members? ;-)

Year on year this measure can be checked, and like a 10TT time, offers a simple measure of progress, and also warning signs if fatigue is approaching. For example my index is around 2.4, so I'm looking forward to being able to improve this over winter, and see if it helps in the next racing season. Some days I feel fatigue after just a few reps, an indication that I may have insufficently rested. Admittedly one of the best ways I can improve P2WR is just to lose weight (losing 5kg and maintaining strength would increase my P2WR by .15), but thats easier said than done! :?

Here is a typical 1Rep equivalency chart. See http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/weight.htm for more advice on numbers of reps and particular benefits of high/low reps.

Load - Repetition Relationship

The strength training zone requires you to use loads in the range of 60% to 100% of 1RM. The relationship of percentage loads to number of repetitions (rounded up) to failure are as follows:

• 60% - 17 reps
    65% - 14 reps
    70% - 12 reps
    75% - 10 reps
    80% - 8 reps
    85% - 6 reps
    90% - 5 reps
    95% - 3 reps
    100% - 1 rep

:!: Just be careful of injury if you've not used weights before. For people interested, take a look through most cycle training guides and you'll see lots of cycling specific exercises that could prove to be useful in the new season.

Scott