Sun 20th Sep - Neilston Pad

Tony

John and I decided to head over to Neilston Pad today to do a little off-road exploring. We arranged to meet up at Miller St at 9am.

When we turned up we found Ian MacAulay there waiting for the 9am bunch who had for some inexplicable reason left 24 hours early :roll:

The three of use headed up over the braes; Ian turned back at Fereneze Road while John and I carried on down the steep drop to Shilford and across into the badlands of Baurheidshire.

When we got to NP we found that our off-road adventure quickly turned into a weightlifting exercise as there were numerous gates to be negotiated and most of them were locked :rockets

After a while we found a couple of good trails, round the craggy bit where the rock-climbers hang out and also a nice trail skirting the edge of the Pad itself which challenged our riding skills. (Well, I managed to fall off a couple of times due to lack of traction/momentum). Near the top there is a very nice viewpoint with a bench where awesome dudes may stop and eat their packed lunches.

Our original intention was to explore some trails on Gleniffer Braes as well, on the way back, but I ran out of time (canny afford to be late for my shift change) so had to head back directly sticking to the tarmac.

My first impression of Neilston Pad is that the trails are probably not as extensive as those on Gleniffer Braes and the locked gates were certainly a bit of a pain. I think it would repay further exploration though - suspect there are other ridable trails in the surrounding area.