Weekend Hostel Trip - late May / early June

Tony

Would anyone like to go on a weekend hostelling trip to Arran/Kintyre/Cowal, on 22nd/23rd May, 5th/6th June or 12th/13th June...proposed route as follows:

Saturday: Johnstone-Ardrossan via Lochwinnoch/Glegarnock, ferry to Brodick, then round the island to Lochranza. Stay in YH.

Sunday: ferry to Claonaig, on to Tarbert, ferry to Portavadie, up the "Otter Ferry" road to Strachur then down Loch Eck to Dunoon. Ferry to Gourock then back to Johnstone. (Alternatively we could take the Glendaruel "short-cut"...hahahaha)

I've lost the instructions for my electronic map-measuring wheel (!) but I think day 1 will work out at roughly 60 miles, day 2 possibly a bit more.

If you don't like the route I've got others in mind - I'm not fussy - for example:

1. Islay - similar route to the one proposed above but less cycling and more ferries

2. Kendoon - via Stewarton, /Dundonald, Tarbolton, Dalmellington. Back on the Sunday via Moniaive, Thornhill, Crawfordjohn, Lesmahagow, Strathaven.

3. Wanlockhead - similar to Kendoon route)

4. Minnigaff - similar to Kendoon route but longer

5. Killin - via Drymen, Gartmore, Callander. Back on the Sunday via Callander, Kippen, Fintry, Killearn

Thanks for listening

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking in terms of 12th/13th of June now as I just realised several things:

1. 22nd/23rd May is only a few days away

2. 29th/30th May is a Bank Holiday weekend and this is refelected in the SYHA's website if you look at the hostel availability, e.g. Islay YH is already full for the Sunday night. Also 29th May is my wedding anniversary!!

3. 6th/7th June there's a 200km Audax at Strathaven which I'd like to attempt

Still haven't decided on location.