Cycling in Andalucia, Southern Spain

Davie

Last Sunday (16/7) I was stopped at the side of the San Martin del Tesorillo to Cortijo Morenilla road, watering the plants when a guy passed wearing what I was sure, was Wheelers bib shorts. He was wearing a Bonjour top - dark blue circa late 1900/early 2000. We exchanged quick 'Hola's' before I realised what he was wearing. He turned left at the next junction and headed down to Los Barrios whilst I was turning right to climb to Gaucin.

Was that you?

I'm in the area a few times a year and always looking for training partners.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Davie

Yes it was me, you're obviously an early bird like myself !

I really wished we'd hooked up for a chat. I did the Gaucin run in reverse on my last day yesterday, Duquesa - Gaucin - Jimena - Sotogrande - Duquesa. I reckon its one of the best runs I've ever done.

I'd been in Duquesa for 2 weeks and just returned today, went out most mornings for 2-3 hours at 7am whilst the family were sleeping, except after days in the mountains when my legs would not move. This was my first time in Costa Del Sol and its one of the best places I've ever cycled, what more can you want than 20 - 21 degrees at 7am, roads like glass, high mountains, not much traffic and beatiful scenery.

Have you done the Los Reales out of Estopona? Puts the Alpe D'Huez to shame, 1450m vertical gain in 15km - I was in the 25 (lowest I had) for almost all of the time it took me to climb it which was the best part of 1.1/2 hours. Pure dead brilliant it is.

Good chance I'll be back for more next summer if not before so will give you a shout

Paul McDonald

Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !

Paul,

Good to hear my eyesight was not deceiving me!

Early bird is the only way of course as the heat becomes tougher as the day progresses. :roll::roll: Nothing to do with the wife and family making comments about my non-prescence during the day! So they sleep, I cycle - we have late breakfast together. Win, Win! :grin:

Gald to hear you enjoy the cycling terrain - really has a lot to offer. The Los Reales climb is very good, but go a bit further in and you are really spolit with, for example, the 1st Cat climb of the Los Palomas and surrounding climbs. Roads are also very quiet once you step back from the N340.

I've house in Hacineda Guadalupe (www.houseinspain.org) - about 2 KM's from Duquesa in the direction of Gib - and I'm out about 3-4 times a year. Only small matters of work and children at school to not make it more often and longer. :lol:

Keep in touch.