Majorca Cycling Holiday - March 2006

Dennis

Some members of the Edinburgh Road Club are going back to Majorca for one or two weeks from 10th March 2006. They are staying at the Poerto Azul Hotel in Poerto Pollensa, which is a really nice place and is great for cycling - good food and lots of it; good bike storage and bench facilities.

I was there three years ago and am thinking of going back again for a week from 10th March 2006. It would be nice, though, if a group from the Johnstone Wheelers could go too, and I am posting this to sound out any initial interest. The bunches that leave the hotel every day are great - lots of wheels!!! and the cycling to be had there on the flat roads or in the hills is superb, with cafe stops of course.

The following is an extract from an email I got from the east, which gives a flavour of the cost etc.

"You can book the Azul through Thomson holidays website

www.thomson.co.uk if you want a bit of discount. I

booked through Thomas Cook in Morningside and 2 weeks

cost £475 - plus £30 to transport your bike. 1 week

costs £375 but there are cheaper ways if you only want

to go for a week."

If anyone is interested in forming a Johnstone Wheelers group for that week, please post and we can take it from there.

Dennis

Hi Dennis, other members

I'll be there for 1 week from 17th March with a group from various clubs including Glasgow Wheelers and Glenmarnock Wheelers. The training will vary from moderate to hard, depending on what group you ride with each day. Around 16 people will be there, so there should be several route options each day. I'll be based in the south, in Palmanova. The format will be similar to last years trip (Mallorca training camp: March 2005 shown in the Personal forum).

I'll be hiring a bike this year, as its getting more difficult to guarantee your bike will get on the plane / arrive on time. There is great competition for hold storage, the limit each flight being restricted to some combination of golf bags and up to 12 bikes. Ask your east coast contacts how many bike boxes disappear en-route to arrive days later.

Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your message. My intention was to sound out interest from the non racing members of the Sunday Runs groups (or anyone who would be content with that style of riding).

What you say sounds attractive too, although I am not sure about the 'moderate pace' of the Glasgow Wheelers and Glenmarnock Wheelers, as I used to go out with the latter before I 'found' the JW and usually had to ride home alone. Having now looked at your posts/pics from last year, I suspect that the same would happen again! It would certainly be a good set-up for younger, fitter riders who are specifically training for racing. Your comments on this would be welcome.

However, the bike hiring sounds attractive too, as I know that the golf bags compete with bikes on the plane, and usually win!

Could you please post, for general club information, details of the Palmanova trip - travel; accommodation; how to hire bikes; all costs etc? Then the club will have details of two types of cycling holiday in Majorca based on the experience of members.

I completely agree with your comments last year though, in that Majorca is a really great place for cycling in every respect.

Thanks Scott.

Dennis