BCF coaching course

Scott D

Stevie asked a question in another thread, so I thought I'd inform people about the coaching course Sharon and I are attending.

Its for BCF Coaching qualification Level 2. The purpose of this intensive 3 day course is to produce qualified voluntary staff to serve the schoolkids (age 11-16) who will be attending the new Cycling Academy based at Bellahouston Park (near Paisley). After the theory follows a lengthy period of practical work before we can officially say we are qualified coaches!

The first day involved a lot of material on child protection. Its a sad reflection of our litigious times that this is such an inportant topic. This topic included discussions on appropriate behaviour around children, handling delicate situations, escalation procedures when fears of abuse exist, appropriate escalation procedure with external agencies, scope of parental consent when working with minors.

The rest of the day looked at coaching generally. Good coaching practice, coaching styles. Elements of planning activities.

I think this is a worthwhile course, which offers the opportunity of sharing your enthusiasm with the next generation of cyclists. We can all see the lack of younger cyclists in training and races.. so its nice to have the chance to influence people to try and change this for the future.

Will keep the forum updated with activities after our next day.

Cheers, Scott

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For all your computer needs, spares & repairs - PC Express, Love Street, Paisley   0141-561-0323

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Scott,

I think it is very noble of you to take up the coaching challenge and I would like to offer my support to you and any of your clubmates who are going through the Level 2 Course. If there are any areas which you may need help with, contact me, I may be able to help

Kind Regards.

For all your computer needs, spares & repairs - PC Express, Love Street, Paisley   0141-561-0323