Touring Flanders in between riding 2 Classics .....

• Life Members

Hi All,

Just like to say that I am doing a double Classics in the form of Ronde Van Vlaanderen & Paris Roubaix Sportives in March/April 2018.
The Ronde Sportive is on the Saturday 31st March & Paris Roubaix Challenge is Saturday 7th April, the pros race it the day after.

In between doing these 2 events, I will be staying in Flanders & doing some cycle touring around various cities & towns :-) taking in the fabulous culture, scenery etc that it's renown for.
My travelling schedule will be by trains on Thursday 29th March, Glasgow to London then Eurostar to Brussle, Belgium & returning via Lille, France by Eurostar also on Sunday 8th April.

I don’t imagine anyone will be up for the touring part, but it would be great if anyone fancy riding 1 of the events, as having some familiar faces are always welcome on the day. I know Paul Levy & Paul McDonald expressed some interest in Roubaix & as far as I know, Martin Mulholland & his 3 boys will be signing up for the 173km Ronde Sportive also (apparently its the family tradition …… nice one)!

I have ridden these events before & what can I say …….. other than the fact that I love it so much that I have to put myself through it again & again ….
Also, Belgium is a place I said I would go back to visit and what better way to do it on the bike, I have been thinking about this for the pass few years ever since Gavin (Martin M’s pal from East Coast) mentioned it to me. Belgium has a first class cycle route system that run right round & across the country, it sounds like cycling heaven, so it should be fairly easy to navigate around then :-)  

Anyway, the following are some links if anyone is interested, I know quite a number of Wheelers have done 1 of or both of events, but for those who haven’t but might interest then: 

http://www.sport.be/werideflanders/2018/en/

http://www.parisroubaixchallenge.com/en/

I have never done any bike touring before, but any form of cycle which involve a lot more stopping/eating than riding gets my vote :-) plus the fact that it’s a good excuse to buy more gear …… brilliant!

A couple of dilemma I face already, as I will be touring & riding the events on the same bike, which means I’ll have to compromise on a few things for sure.
It won’t be practical to ride my tubular wheels (they were great for Roubaix’s pave) so instead I’ll ride a set of 32/36 spokes clincher with Vittoria Pave 25mm tyres, but the problem is these tyre seems to have been discontinued so it’s hard to find stock :-(

I will also need to invest in some rear panniers & rack for my bike, I have set my sight on some Arkel Dolphins 32, anyone had experiences on that?
I would appreciate any advise on cycle touring gear & any helpful tips ..... or any ideas at all regarding Flanders (as an area) I would be very grateful!

I am so looking forward to this mini adventure!

That’s all for just now ………. to be continue :-)

Cheers

• 2023 Subscriptions

Wow Chung sounds like a superb trip! I'm doubtful for Roubiax but I need to take a look again at Holidays and travel, I would love to do it again but only if i'm guaranteed bad weather ;)

I have a Large 10 litre Saddlebag, Toptube bag & small Gastank all sitting gathering dust until the summer so you could use them if you wanted, I also have a set of Vittoria Pave 25mm tyres used a handful of times if you need, let me know

Paul

• 2023 Subscriptions

Chung,

trip sounds amazing, although my holidays are all but accounted for this year.....

I have a pair of Altura Dryline 32 panniers you are more than welcome to borrow. Have used them in a few weekend tours and are great, everything is kept nice and dry..

https://www.evanscycles.com/altura-dryline-2-32-pannier-pair-EV316669?esvt=52822-GOUKE4450124&esvq=&esvadt=999999-0-1144920-1&esvcrea=166234177373&esvplace=&esvd=c&esvtg=aud-324222567069:pla-351890243699&esvo=EV316669-NA-BKGY&esvaid=50080&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIusvnqPnh2AIVr7_tCh3XrA_KEAQYASABEgJbfPD_BwE

Ian

• Committee

I recommend a bar bag for camera/food/wallet and also it balances out load. Various kinds available but ortleib good. Best version has a sturdy plastic bracket so the bag is proud of the bars and allows you to ride on the tops. A 10L saddlebag is big and would also allow you to even out some load instead of two huge panniers. Small USB lights for late arrivals. USB battery thing.

You are old enough to take a credit card with big limit so you get nice hotels with loads of room for washing and drying stuff.

• Committee
  • Life Members

Thanks chaps for the offers & advise, very much appreciated!

Paul, I have just managed to source 2 of these rare Pave tyres, but I might take up you offer for one, just as a spare if that’s ok!

Iain, again thanks for the pannier bags, I’m thinking of investing on some myself as I was hoping to do more of these touring in further, so having some myself makes sense!

Alan, good shout on the handlebar bag, it certainly seems a very good/handy way of getting stuff quickly. I was looking at ones with a clear pocket on top so to put maps/GPS in that’s waterproof if need be.

Do you know if that Ortlieb have that?

Cheers

• Life Members
2 minutes ago, Iain67 said:

Sounds Amazing Chung, hope the weather gods are good to you and lots of photos please. Just as well you don't like Belgian beer, or may be a bit heavier on the way back:grin:

Cheers Iain, but I do like Belgium chocolate & pastry, so it’ll be just as bad :-)

• 2023 Subscriptions

I'm still up for a 4 or 5 day trip to do Roubaix sportive. Was thinking the ThursDAy ferry and back on the MonDAy ferry. That really needs  afew to make it viable.

Alternative I think I might check out Eurostar options tonight.

Would love to do the whole week thing Chung, it sounds great but not possible this year.

• Life Members
1 hour ago, P McDonald said:

I'm still up for a 4 or 5 day trip to do Roubaix sportive. Was thinking the ThursDAy ferry and back on the MonDAy ferry. That really needs  afew to make it viable.

Alternative I think I might check out Eurostar options tonight.

Would love to do the whole week thing Chung, it sounds great but not possible this year.

Hi Paul,

That would be great, be mindful that your bike will need to go on the Eurostar Train as a check-in "package", don't need a bike box, they'll take it on as a complete bike.

But you do have to pre-book it (optional but highly advisable) cost £30 each way :-( 

I'm staying at the Lille Ibis (same as we did last time with Wheelers) from Friday 6th  till Sunday 8th April:

http://www.ibis.com/gb/hotel-0901-ibis-lille-centre-gares/index.shtml#overview

This is handy as it's just around the corner from the Eurostar Station & 35 minutes pedal to Roubaix Velodrome!

Cheers

Chung

• Life Members
2 hours ago, DavieB said:

Sounds like a cracking trip Chung. I have still to do the real pave of the Hell of the North ....I will look at dates and logistics for this year. Flanders is the one I would actually like to repeat so will see.

just mind and take the panniers off going up the Koppenberg.

Cheers Davie, I’ll definitely be pannier-less when I come to tackling all the “bergs” .... need all the help I can get for sure :-)

It would be great to see you on the Pave, you’ll smash through them no bother given you CX credentials!

Cheers

• 2023 Subscriptions

PARIS ROUBAIX SPORTIVE - anyone interested in this option

Train on Thursday 5th April from Glasgow 1140 hrs.  Arrive Lille with one change in London to Eurostar, its a 10 min walk to change stations.  Total journey time approx. 7h40 mins. Arrive Lille 2026 hrs with time difference. Chung is in the IBIS hotel in Lille so would be great to join him. £112.

Do a recce run on Friday to loosen the legs and get some cobbles in. 

Full bhoona Paris Roubaix sportive on the Saturday. 172km.

Some refreshments to re hydrate on Saturday night.

Return journey on Sunday 8th April 1235 hrs with arrival back in Glasgow 1912 hrs. This would mean not seeing the finish of the pro race unless we stay over till the Monday. I could maybe squeeze this but honestly not too fussed as the tv coverage is so good. £123.

Travel cost £235. 172km sportive is about 50 euros. Hotel for 3 nights.

Any interested parties ?

• Life Members
7 hours ago, PaulL said:

Unfortunately I wont't be hitting the Pave this year.... got a few things on that weekend I thought I could get re-arranged but couldn't Madmouser 

That's a shame, Paul ...... was hoping to share some Pave with you! Maybe next year then ....... eh! ;-)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Rider statement:

After a discussion with my team and coach it has been decided to give the Tour a miss this year and focus on the early classics, this has taken bit of rescheduling and coercing but it looks like I will be returning to the Pave this year. Let the Training begin Ohyadancer!

• Life Members
2 hours ago, PaulL said:

Rider statement:

After a discussion with my team and coach it has been decided to give the Tour a miss this year and focus on the early classics, this has taken bit of rescheduling and coercing but it looks like I will be returning to the Pave this year. Let the Training begin Ohyadancer!

Paul, sorry I’m a bit thick, but does that mean you’re game for Roubaix this April? :grin:

Oh, your dancer!

• Life Members

Hi Paul(s),

I'm sure you'll know but I'll say it anyway - make sure you book your bikes on the train journey going down to Glasgow as well as the Eurostar.

It should be free but needs advance booking just to make sure, if you're traveling with Virgin trains, its - 0344 5565 650 they'll give you a reference code but no emails or anything, just a number which you'll need to get the bike on board.

As for Eurostar, it's actually a separate operator that you call - Euro Dispatch 0344 8225 822, £30 each way. You will need your train ticket booked first but I phoned them to make sure space is available & I booked the Eurostar train while I was on the phone to them.

The return legs from Lille back to London is slightly different. I was told I can't book in advance but will need to on the day of travel, not sure about that, but I shall investigate that further & update accordingly!

Good luck chaps

Cheers

Chung

• 2023 Subscriptions

Sounds like a good trip Chung, I have other commitments at that time so can only look forward to your tour report.

I endorse Alan's suggestion of a bar bag, great for navigation, snacks, camera and the like.  I use a Carradice one, it's not perfect but it's not the most expensive on the market and it's done the job for about 3,000 miles of touring.  For panniers I stand by our Ortliebs easy to mount and dismount fro the bike, never let any water in, and after years of sometimes hard use still look like new, though if your going lightweight you might get away with bikepacking gear.  for a loaded bike I'd be tempted to go up to 28mm tyres if you've got a frame that will take them. 

I suggest booking up accommodation before you go, we told them we would be travelling by bike and found all our European accommodations were happy to store the bike securely indoors.

A few photos of bikes loaded for touring to get you in the mood, note it's the same luggage on various bikes....

ARONf4Br60mx_vWuaQu5Mc3KNVh8mTiFPapWuGsQ5L4j5qHa3uwPuaq62_vRIoLL3WaVA2KfRzY7sLNj0oW0lNdwtGDSdDFPSl8rnfGRq7hopwp-BC83nFdKwqZJL-eee3Y8UMckdlSJ4dt8gMmpmJyPnvzAriy16OLGdONfoA2QPqBNlteXCVCreDa-cdkhY6ccgMclWFhwAJsoKnnA5As12wfex2eEseLDAI1f02Xbv0gepo4zEBA7K2nIysvsUtcMWK_zrfPR6RxG2q6DaIC4HSTm3qbylV3MZ_5zMjckVMRDRvG6qerYVgj7WSmGoaSf19N-UVMeMJzfqyL-dGjqNnaiBAyvb5_XbxhwdTal4N7s9YPz4IsZsWWYM1iwBjGj4gMDvUzsDh8bK1Tp7it2qN0PBNSEqbk4uX1Ps7PSaHpenvTrLGWSyauwUv_IAdP3bn7i6V-5-ClvY-ybaxd23i9uAfXO9f4FHeldwAptdrajHox3_qYBsA6sMrqwhtYNVPNEpc3KfViDG2oEpywZ1nkAOmHCSF-WTg0DiO9TdvQxKUYmFfl6riWPNmuwHJ-3PI_21jAHYU8gi7dNaDlUUeesM9OPkOc4iNE=w1547-h870-no

jyV52VyzVnm_fhLGLLOn8k_LuUCnJOjblXhTXj7FxAYRzB_xRfda4AUxcMGCPyWDcmCWSSBlkcc6IBYxi9GfKEImrPkBsnX8f3zeb_grmuZgXXV9-Ls0l2BzA6HZ52pg3v5tL_KbBCQOfF2-W18JX1k1EuZePde922gpZKpAX2hZixbcnNk0Kci5vz7jTYxgZRbu2iJSnec1HbrC0wBgJt0CIVKSuBi3HJutlDMc8HkPrVW8z0pEnw505BGi4n8tvNdOphs6oSjnqlnp92hqFNdzJyFUVHn2pTWoSSixmh0psuwSceIDrfNYmypQSYS4hhTSElTT1lcuiJrvjLJHQFxMKnD-qSfQWYXkIzpLXzE2uOhqk_oq3YMY_5UCzBmgJUCeGjj8tdBDv7wjO0rqnWEL0fBd7nQMAwxQWyITeg9xFjaUc29Bb72axl3P5uHnsLwiFWyW9B3lGhlIkJcFOCTpvfdIHa_rC0VyIHE4ECUo1LudeeDg4TtZf6qPD53fpJzhq2BD6Qtg15o1PcFvOQrmMYgRoYQ87d0NixBjgVOFSgh__mnqBg2lMvofEnR4tltUGDO4HOgzAxle4TSxZNOkwh6gDRdhrUT0WK0=w1547-h870-no

Yo2XzVFR37brnUXMxpYo4Lyt2zvtVt-d6m5k2OI9UC3BZCsVpYhD_kBi4Zk2SgV11T3vP9KKlIFFyv37oyvAbYBrw7Fu4xdMbnvukENrXtIbTyryqWYowT_IDEZWYwYdR8nfqYfhlyuZT4LaGIn_8FibqcfvAqOvfzHmD99nu_BVMreCDqUUvg_TTUpidicH9kzLtH1XrkuM-I4kajnT0q-uq4Y7YjJVRpZWG7_me3KDW-BOzNLeGHjylW6uWHftwFNreqtE3BcHLkFdCHRvGoVGN8dwglvnlw8Avzr4eIN06DzSMVWzhLyxJGMWp6ljCnG-mtaUG5yDVwDEYriKrpgw7dAQwbpU20dQAnyO7qaesOstx_kT1Uw_QZj2Nd6fU0fIxwaqEEW1KJce3567PfsdbVl2eyYBvKuvKGHbnCUGrjoxLy2qFDN-kB7o7GyX1QQ1QqyBgygieEcAvRB7EnWrRooLwvsLHoUUMttytmnpiuUzTGQhTsFMRH9MoZvmtOrNsodPjPT_6NWD2wFLKky6BiFpxar-AjmSnwYT-nTdOoBAIEvgmivddLh5GFqq-5-adgsnEwnxsSJgBSfB6rdIP3vktQO0PGRXzXY=w1547-h870-no

• Life Members

Thanks for the tips & photos Graham, much appreciated!

Yes, a handle bar bag will be one of my luggage set-up, with most likely a "trunk bag" on the rear rack.

What litre capacity is your bar-bag, Graham?

I am trying to go as light as possible - so I reckon I can make do with approx. 18-20 litre of luggage with the combination of a bar & trunk bag :-) No luxury item such as camera etc (my iPhone will have to make do) I'm afraid, therefore my bar bag will be for essentials as well as items I need convenient access to, so a roomy one would be ideal but then not too big :-)

This bike tour packing is just as interesting as the biking it self :-)

Cheers