Tubeless setup

PaulL

• 2023 Subscriptions

Dr McLean is indeed an aficionado, on the road to Dunoon a couple of weeks ago I witnessed him pulling out a large needle, putting some gunk thread type stuff in it, inserting it into his tubeless tyre with surgical precision (he rammed it in), and it worked for the next 70 miles. Was pretty amazing actually.

:)

• Committee

Paul, if you got the tyres seated and inflated then you know 95% of what I know about tubeless.

The next big step is realising that it is a completely different way of thinking about tyres. You do not need to carry tubes. Small holes will seal instantly. Bigger holes are plugged from outside and air topped up. You need to add sealant every few months. The tyre can stay on the rim until it is worn out.

It took me a year to work this out.

Mavic have just introduced a massive range of tubeless wheels with matching tyres so I'll give them a go.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi Paul

Came to this late..........as usual.

I did Roubaix on tubeless and have ridden them for about three years. Not an issue, no punctures (that I noticed). In the end I replaced the first set of tyres.

Made the mistake of putting them on my mtb, rode it for a an hour and then forgot about them for several months and they broke the seal. Unfortunately no gas canisters so I could not re-inflate. In the end I put tubes in the mtb. However you have just reminded me that Santa can bring me a nice new preload pump. Since I already have two track pumps, it may well be time to offload a couple!

I run tubulars on my TT and summer bikes and always carry a sealant canister. They work up to 3-4mm cuts! 

In short, it is the way to go, as far as I am concerned.

Better results than I ever got with the sealant, the only puncture I ever suffered on tubeless, a relatively small nick and the slime just oozed out. I pre slimed my cross tubs with latex applied to seal the side walls (pro trick but wouldn't bother) and the slime seems to be rotting the tyre from inside out. Now hate the stuff.

If for 3 Peaks run with tubes at high pressure it is not 'cross terrain and anything shy of 70psi will only slow you down.

I messed about with tubeless for cross bike but could never really get any confidence on low pressures to attack corners or bumps, certainly not as low as regularly bottoming out which is fine on tubs.

Good luck for the Peaks!