HalloX is back! HalloX to Nether Pollok Saturday the 11th of November 2017.

PaulL

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2023 Subscriptions

Race Report: 

Although Dressing up as a 10ft inflatable Dinosaur(Trex) is always a good idea, doing for it aa Cross race, at night and in mud probably wasn't the best idea I have ever had! but with the support and eye rolling from the wife and kids I decided to give it a bash ;)  I had decided not to practice before the race as I felt this would just confirm how daft this would be and might put me off.

I'm not one to be nervous, but this was a bit nerve wracking... visions of taking out the leaders on the last lap, or crashing through a barrier and taking out some spectators... but thats the risks when you coming to watch a cross race? I did a couple of warm up laps without the costume on and the course was pretty flat and muddy with a couple of tricky hills near the DJ booth. I put the costume on(This was a four man job) and made my way to the start line and had bit of a panic as condensation built up, people shining lights on me and a plastic tiny view port meant my visibility was pretty much Zero, I nearly hit a tree in the first few feet to the enjoyment of Chewbacca and some Zombies.  I managed to get to the start and off we went, well off everyone else went and I waddled into the darkness, it was a bit hairy and I was using a lot of guess work to get around. But I was moving forward and hadn't taken out a barrier yet, this was the quiet part of course and fairly flat but once I entered the main area, Loud techno, spotlights, disco lights, kids screaming, DJ shouting here comes a T-Rex I started to question my life choices... this is where things went a bit crazy  as I couldn't really see anything, the glare from the lights meant the run ups(which later I heard most people were running up) just disappeared into white light. I decided just to take a guess and go full Gas! and I made it! nah i didn't, comedy stationary spinning of the legs and my first off into the Mud of many, very many... Another thing I never thought off was how to get up of the ground, short arms and all... Somehow I did(later people had to help) and managed to waddle, fall over and get back up over the next 4 laps, missing turns, taking out several barriers, deflating as I had to dismount and carry bike... I think i was having a good time, Its how i imagine being abducted by aliens would feel like :) By the last lap the heat inside it was crazy and the condensation covered the view port and i was using my spidey senses to stay on the course, with my hands being on the outside I had no choice but to lick the window port clean of my own sweat so i could see, yes kids thats commitment! moving along...

The crowds were was amazing and I had a group of kids running around beside shouting encouragement(you can do it Dino!) and Adults laughing very loudly as I fell flat on my face. I managed to win best fancy dress and have a fantastic collection of bruises... My first top step of a CX race(sign of things to come? hahahah) The Albannach guys put on a great event and really help me get through it(one marshall had to tuck my Dino butt in every lap), I would highly recommend HalloX to everyone! 

If you need any coaching on how to race in a inflatable costume, just give me a shout!

FB_IMG_1510444047342.jpg

Great stuff Paul and good for you for pushing the boundaries.

i was actually there but had no chance to hook up as I was pretty late there and touch and go to get signed in and ready for the start and had to leave sharp at the end to collect Mollie the dog. The commentator was certainly giving it large over the costume and you obviously gave a lot of people a lot of laughs...chapeau.

• 2023 Subscriptions
9 hours ago, PaulL said:

...I think i was having a good time, Its how i imagine being abducted by aliens would feel like :) By the last lap the heat inside it was crazy and the condensation covered the view port and i was using my spidey senses to stay on the course, with my hands being on the outside I had no choice but to lick the window port clean of my own sweat so i could see, yes kids thats commitment! moving along...

I dont know whats funnier...the photos or the race report. :D 

Might need to have a fancy dress edition of the Thursday night worlds next year!