Arran 22 July

Gerard Deeley

• 2023 Subscriptions

The weather forecast for the day was due to be a mixed bag for our planned route, but it did begin with a tailwind down to Ardrossan. Andrew, Graham and myself met at Millar street and were joined by Jaki and Paul a little further down the cycle track. We made it down to the ferry on time but still last to board, Eric and Ian were already there and found us on board.

Good progress was made initially at a steady pace, but a snapped chain gave us our first break. Our next stop was a bit more eventful when Ian and Andrew coming off their bike on a comer at Corriecravie, probably the tarmac lurching up at them. As we Wheelers are made of tough stuff, both picked themselves up, compared road rashes and torn clothes and we were on our way again. Lunch was at Cafe Thyme outside Machrie, a bit of a slog into the wind, a measure of things to come afterwards. The remainder of the run to the ferry was going to be tough, into the wind with thankfully only occasional rain despite the menacing dark clouds hanging over the mountains like the gateway to Mordor. After the expected drag out of Lochranza, leaving a streak of our pain and suffering on the road behind we all managed a well ordered and brisk return to the 1640 ferry.

A decent rest on the ferry was needed for the band of five's return home, we were all clearly tiring, but kept the pace up well. As is the way with these days out as we all peeled off to go our separate ways, each hopefully with a warm welcome home and lots of food (I know I did!).