Is that my knee or your BB

Gummers

• 2023 Subscriptions

Brilliant spring sunshine for the Masters Vets RR today. Shorts and short sleeves and very little wind to speak of. Below constitutes the race report:

Up down up down up down up down up down up crash up down up down up crash finish

Before crash 1 good effort by Gregg O who stayed off til lap 5. I went down with 10 other guys in bizarre no sense out of blue crash. Colin okay. My chain came off in crash and got on wrong side of pedal. Took ages to sort. Finished race with solo effort over 13 miles. Nasty crash at sprint finish. Colin okay. One rider Alistair Pell KO'd but regained consciousness and taken to crosshouse.

That'll be the race season started then.

Andy

• 2023 Subscriptions

Well done - good to hear you are both OK. Sounds like a nightmare with the crashing

I moan about the riding on the track from time to time but IME overall the standard is significantly better than in road races and i think the accreditation process is a big part of that. Although you would expect the standard in a vets race to be better than normal, maybe just one of those days.

Unusually benign pace without the young guns to liven things up at the front today. Was almost tempted into going for a break until crash no 1 which I just managed to avoid. Had to make a big effort to regain contact with the bunch after 1/4 of a lap. Luckily upon exiting the last turn I took an inside line to try to move up to the front and that was when crash no 2 went off in right and in front. The bunch was tightly packed at this point and think it was a touch of wheels which set things in motion.! Saw a back wheel on the deck and just managed to slow enough to avoid it finishing mid bunch. Never mind the weather made up for it and good training.