Drumlanrig sportive

• 1 month later...
  • 2023 Subscriptions

Well the new route was quite a challenge. 86 miles of death by up & down with frequent showers & blustery wind thrown in.

Quite a small field this year, so much so that Darryl, David & I were quickly away off the front with a Fullerton rider who was clearly on a mission so we let him go and did a three up at a good pace until about 45 miles where I went to pieces & had to stop briefly as I felt dizzy & nauseous.

I eventually got myself back together and we enjoyed a good tailwind to the last feed.

The hill right after this was 15% for over a mile. Brutal.

Darryl left us here & shot off like a wee shooty thing only to go off course & trail in after us.

David & I came in 2nd & 3rd of the 86 mile route chaps

A good & tough day out on very quiet roads with good company. What more could you ask for?

• 2024 Subscriptions

Excellent day out. As Geo mentioned it's a new route- one 86 mile loop - and quite tough, especially today with the weather. But, we hardly saw a car all day.

Also present was Ian Holms and also Robert Shennan.

This sportive is highly recommended. It is also for a good cause - a charity. No one makes any money out of this. They are all volunteers. A refreshing aspect of this event in our over-monetarised times is the fact that they don't take the piss and charge you £60 or more.Rather, they ask you to decide what you wish to pay!!!

86 miles solo effort headwind around 80% of it, total hardcore eh. Won't be doing it next year if same route; some of these single-track roads were mind-numbingly tedious imo.

Highlights? Moniaive (how pretty is this wee place?!) Moniaive reprise, zero punctures for a change, and the Domane going like a dream!

Lowlight: missing out on some teamwork. I would've aimed for the 08:30 start of the other lads if I'd known there was some super-coordinated team planning going on. Disappointing...

Interesting day at Drumlanrig today. Weather was changeable to say the least. Mega rough sufaces at times with challenging fast descents.

Some tough steep climbs. Scarily large potholes too.

Overall , a brilliant event with well positioned and visible route markings. ( FAO Darryl !! )

Personally, it took me at least 10 miles to warm up but after that I pushed on and enjoyed the event to finish with my strava time of 3hrs 38mins for the medium distance of 57 miles.

Great to meet up with JWCC team mates today.