North Coast 500 2017

• 2024 Subscriptions

For what it's worth I intend to travel really light. If we do drive up then a bag of clothes for the first and last night can be left in the car.

Otherwise I intend to wash kit at YH and dry over night.

Also suggest quick link for your chain and a tyre 'boot' in case you get a slash in your tyre mid ride and need an emergency repair.

• 2023 Subscriptions

In a desire to travel light I've weighed everything I might take. The shoes and the 'winter' rain jacket are the heaviest items - and I don't think washing them is going to make them lighter!

But I'm planning to indulge in a pair of trainers to walk to the pub in, and taking a fleece for the chilly evenings. I'm working on the basis that in the North of Scotland it can be winter weather all year round.

I reckon I'm going to be last up the hills and last to arrive each afternoon, and therefore need more kit as I'll not have as much time to do washing. But the extra clothes don't weigh much.

Horrifically underprepared for this but in an effort to do something I've ordered two new tyres.

Afer the roads in Ireland i'll be taking a large bucket of chamois cream ( one with wheels that I can tow) and a similar sized tub of sudacreme. That along with midgie spray and painkillers should do me.

• 2024 Subscriptions

Hi Roberto

Our original plan was to head straight to Torridon YH in the morning. Dependant on weather etc, a ride over to Applecross was mooted. Probay best to meet at the YH and leave your phone number with one of us so you can get an update of our progress. Alternatively you could ride out to meet us.

Cheers

Darryl

Cheers Darryl

Applied for the day off for this so weather had better behave itself! I'm 07941668077 for arrangements nearer the 10th👌

Update - No call came from any of the group. Cheers guys. Bealach Mor on 02/09 for me I guess.

• 2023 Subscriptions
Hey Robbie route below, you can download the GPX from strava. I am not responsible for any errors or deviations ;)

NC500 Day 1

Distance 178.5km

Elevation Gain 2,650m  

Est. Moving Time 8:18:15

NC500 Day 2 

Distance 134.2km

Elevation Gain 2,016m

Est. Moving Time 6:14:46

NC500 Day 3 (Toughest day)

Distance 198.8km

Elevation Gain 3,215m

Est. Moving Time 9:14:56

NC500 Day 4 

Distance 183.0km

Elevation Gain 2,266m

Est. Moving Time 8:30:58

NC500 Day 5

Distance 121.0km

Elevation Gain 1,055m

Est. Moving Time 5:37:45

• 2023 Subscriptions

Cheers Paul, keep the water to our left thats how I'm going to roll! 

Day 3 looks a toughie right enough!

We're staying in Wick at the end of day 4 btw, couldn't get booked into Helmsdale YH, could be a blessing in disguise.