North Coast 500 2017

• 2024 Subscriptions

A few of us intend to ride the North Coast 500 route next year. Google or search FaceBook for more info, but it is definitely now a big tourist thing. Basically, it is a ride starting and finishing in Inverness taking in the North Coast. The plan is to take 5 days to cover the 500 miles. If anyone else is interested please pm me.

• 1 month later...
  • 2024 Subscriptions

Hi Folks

Quick update on NC500. Wed 9th August - Tuesday 15th. (overnight stay in Inverness on 14th, train home on Tuesday 15)

It's all booked and sorted. Staying at Youth Hostels. Train up to Inverness on the Wednesday evening, or earlier, and all meet at Hostel. Riding starts Thursday am, as per below. 5 days cycling @ 100 miles per day:

Day 1 (10/8) : Inverness to Torridon (Applecross pm)
Day 2 (11/8): Torridon to Ullapool
Day 3 (12/8): Ullapool to Tongue
Day 4(13/8): Tongue to Helmsdale
Day 5 (14/8): Helmsdale to Inverness
Day 6 (15/8): Home

Just to say that anyone else who wishes to join us is welcome, although they will have to sort their own accommodation out.

Cheers
Darryl

• 2024 Subscriptions

Hi Folks

Quick update on NC500. Wed 9th August - Tuesday 15th. (overnight stay in Inverness on 14th, train home on Tuesday 15)

It's all booked and sorted. Staying at Youth Hostels. Train up to Inverness on the Wednesday evening, or earlier, and all meet at Hostel. Riding starts Thursday am, as per below. 5 days cycling @ 100 miles per day:

Day 1 (10/8 : Inverness to Torridon (Applecross pm)

Day 2 (11/8): Torridon to Ullapool

Day 3 (12/8): Ullapool to Tongue

Day 4(13/8): Tongue to Helmsdale

Day 5 (14/8): Helmsdale to Inverness

Day 6 (15/8): Home

Just to say that anyone else who wishes to join us is welcome, although they will have to sort their own accommodation out.

Cheers

Darryl

Please note that the dates were slightly out on the original post. This has now been corrected as above.

Cheers

D

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2023 Subscriptions

It had its tribulations, I managed to break my track pump before I had left the house, then under Erskine Bridge I was too warm so thought I would repack my saddle bag and managed to rip the top off the dry sack.

Met Darryl and were on our way, next I had 2 front wheel punctures before we got to Cardross, so had done approx. 18 miles. It was during the repair of the 2nd puncture the rain started teaming it down. Oh, nearly forgot as I was discovering I had the 1st puncture and was looking at the tyre on the road, I heard a vehicle screeching towards us, Darryl later told me it was going sideways out of control and ended up on the pavement behind us.

Robbie as you suggested we stopped in Arrochar for rolls and found some shelter for our bikes for half an hour, then it was up the Rest and be Thankful, again pishing it down.

We had lunch in Inverrary, at this time we were ringing out our gloves over some soup and hot paninis.

We discussed how bad the rain was, but at least there was no wind.

Left Inverrary and shortly after that the wind picked up, it was not very enjoyable to say the least and the last 5-10 miles into Oban was especially treacherous with drivers going too fast and cutting in, we presume they must have been trying to catch a ferry.

Hot shower in Youth Hostel and a couple of beers, attempted to fix said punctures, but the glue in the puncture kit was empty, luckily managed to borrow a couple of self-stick patches from another cyclist.

Headed out for fish and chips and a few more beers.

Next day, totally different, sun in the sky. Arm and leg warmers even came off. Met Al Yuille outside Lochgilphead for a quick chat. We cycled down to Tarbet had lunch and then into Portavadie. A few hills then onto the Ferry to Gourock. We ride up the Clune, never seen any road works and then down the cycle path home.

Thanks to Darryl was a cracking trip and now feel better prepared for the NC5oo.

• 2024 Subscriptions

Nothing to add to the description here. Davie's left nothing out.

I did discover a slash in my rear tyre when I got home, so, was bit lucky not to have a problem on the road. New tyre arrived today.

It was a useful trip to see how body, bike and kit held up. Can't wait for the main event!

• 2023 Subscriptions

I know I will forget something, so I threw up a quick Equipment list - not including cycling clothes worn (multiple layers with waterproof jacket/overshoes) please add to it? or if we can share equipment taken? should some of use take pumps and some gas? How much Beer/Wine can we each carry? Important questions...

For Bike -

2 x Inner Tubes

Patches

Multi Tool with chain breaker

Pump 

spare chain links

Duct tape (small) Fixes everything ;)

Tyre Levers

Other

Trainers

Light Trousers/shorts

Couple of T-Shirts 

2 x socks (wash in hostels and use dry rooms)

2 x boxers (wash in hostels and use dry rooms)

Towel

Toothbrush

ToothPaste

washing gel/shampoo 

Front light

Back Light

USB battery 

Sun Cream (wishful thinking)

Electrolyte Tablets

2 x gels (Emergency)

2 x water bottles

Phone

Garmin

6 x Leffe

(Other food? buy as we travel seems a good option?)

Graham, as an experienced tourer, in process of weighing everything he may take in order to travel light but likely to produce a list twice as long, wait for it!!

Obvious one missing is cash as not all venues take cards and cashpoints are always off the route!

Jane