Irvine 20th Nov 2016

Alan McLean

• Committee

Me and a Junior.

Completely different course this time over grassy dunes with little shelter from wind. Featuring the happy valley roller coaster, the endless skyline push-up and the hardest 200m of riding in scotland along the world famous sand trench. I will be running about, ooh, 4psi.

This is probably the least technical course on the circuit, fast and smooth, and highly recommended. It is our local course so either get a start or ride down to gloat.

See you there.

Paul/Davie/Duncan: you coming out for first half bogs on Saturday? We could have a nice coffee and bagel tower before returning up Brisbane and pave. Don't want to shred our legs before Sunday

Na!

Will still be trying to work out whether a Paul Milnes carbon disc x-wing is just an older model Ridley x-night re-badged. Got a weird bridge arrangement at seat stays which I can't see replicated on any Ridleys...which confuses me somewhat.

Word from Irvine beach is that major course changes from last couple of years - lots of the single track eliminated to allow overtaking. Get down early to scope it out and dial in tyre pressures. The run-up remains!

The sand section was like a section of the A737 today.

• Committee

JWCC were well represented in the Mature Gentlemen Riders race with six entries. Winter is definitely here but the rain stayed away.

The course had been tweaked and was even better with swoopy velodrome-like bermed sections which could be taken at full throttle. The big dipper and trench provided consistent entertainment. I managed to lose a place on the final lap due to off camber slither  but was delighted not to get lapped which is now quite an achievement for me.

Great crowds and banging PA system. Highlight was the recovery feed: coffee, Red Bull and pizza from the wood-fired oven with fresh basil and chili flakes. Really silky pizza dough had been proving overnight and puffed up beautifully with ever so slightly charred edges.

Need a report from youths and V40s please. Paul and Davie were blasting but Davie disappeared off our radar and I suspect a mechanical.