Fred Whitton Challenge 2017

• 2024 Subscriptions

Just in case anyone is interested in doing this next year, here is the blurb from their website:

The Fred Whitton Challenge is one of the most popular sportives in the UK and is also famed as being particularly difficult. Riders rank it alongside European events such as the Marmotte in terms of difficulty.

The Fred Whitton Challenge consists of a 112 mile sportive around the Lake District, starting at Grasmere and taking in climbs of Kirkstone, Honister, Newlands, Whinlatter, Hardknott & Wrynose passes.

The date is 7rh May which may coincide with Mallorca. If so maybe the year after...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2024 Subscriptions

The ''Fred' gives details of how to enter on Dec 1st. It is apparently a lottery (literally) unless you agree to raise £££ for charity. I intend to enter. If anyone else fancies this let me know. It will be run on 7th (Sunday) May.

Details are here: http://www.fredwhittonchallenge.co.uk

• 2024 Subscriptions

George

Plan would be to drive down Saturday evening, stay in YHA or B&B. Ride on Sunday and home. I will drive.

I'll talk to you about this in the coming weeks. Not many current JWCC have done this! You'll be a member of a very elite club indeed :)

• 2024 Subscriptions

Ritchie

The plan is to try and enter the actual event. Let's see what the details of registration are when released on Dec 1st and then apply. If there is a way to enter together then we can do that. If not, we will have to see how it goes. There will also likely be a reserve list as well.

Cheers

• 2024 Subscriptions

On further investigation, this is a no go for me.

Haven't got the days to take off and don't think I could finish work at 4pm on Sat, drive down, ride then drive home and be fit for a 5am rise for Mon early shift!

That's a shame Ritchie. I suppose it's the 5am rise that's the problem. The rest of us will be in work on the Monday. I've done it twice before an it really isn't a problem. It's just like going to work after a very long ride...