Fred Whitton Challenge 2017

• 2023 Subscriptions

Think the concencus for most is a great day to be on the bike in beautiful countryside on a very challenging course-BUT NEVER AGAIN.

We also won a watch with our hostel & choice of pub on Saturday evening.

I felt great up until 90 miles, hills until then were rideable, descents very sketchy-some poor chap was air lifted away.

Then we got to Hardknott & Wrynose. Jeezo! Nothing I have ridden comes close. Absolutely brutal and never ending. Most people around me were walking in sections and I joined them as a) it was so hard B) my front wheel was lifting c) with all the walkers it was difficult to get a line.

We were mega lucky with the weather. In all honesty, had it been raining I would have packed as the descents don't bear thinking about in the wet.

Paul had a minor off but is ok.

Have to say the organisation was 2nd to none and the volunteers were awesome-roaring you on & ringing cowbells on the climbs & rushing up to fill your bottle and give you some great food at the feeds. Even got a free alcohol free pint & pie and beans at the finish.

Box ticked. Something different next time.

• 2024 Subscriptions

We couldn't have asked for a better day for the Fred. As we rolled out at 7.30 it was quite nippy, but it would warm up throughout the day. I'll leave it for others to add their thoughts but a couple of things that stand out for me are that we managed to ride the event together as a club, which made a very hard day seem slightly less so. Everyone was on good form and survived what is acknowledged to be the toughest UK sportive.

The climbs before 90 miles soften you up for the main event of Hardknott and Wrynose. Bloody hard, barely rideable steep steep roads.

Had to walk a bit on Hardknott but was ok apart from that.

Thanks to all who took part and were part of an epic day out.

cheers

• 2023 Subscriptions

Good fun , lovely place to ride your bike but the last two climbs are totally brutal , it was not only the steepness but the clowns walking up the hill in the middle of and in some cases all of the road , last climb my legs were shredded, run to the end was good though.

Some of the descents were close to just madness

• 2023 Subscriptions

great day out, sun, great company and some Brutal climbs. Well done to Darryl for keeping us together for 90 miles.

I locked my back wheel and ran off on a descent,I was lucky there was a bit of grass to run of and managed to stay upright. I gave the rest of the descents the respect they deserved after that. in the wet as George said they would have been awful.

My 36 cassette managed to get me up the climbs, well worth the ribbing I got for fitting the Saucer.

Well done everyone today, cracking event... I wont be going back either ðŸ˜

• 2023 Subscriptions

Great day out with the bunch with a nice pace early on keeping together and re-grouping after the climbs.   Brutal climbs at the end made harder with people all over the place and not getting a straight line.

Suffering today with my ribs and back..... plenty pain killers and still feeling it !!

Attached the only photo at the 1st feed stop: Ginty, me, Alex, Darrel, Robbie

Till next time.. :icon_hee-haw

post-4079-0-62401700-1494243913_thumb.jpg

• 2023 Subscriptions

Well, what can I say that hasn't already been said.... brilliant for the first 90miles, absolutely brutal for the next 10 and then a very fast last 10 relatively flat and with a tailwind..

We couldn't have hoped for better conditions, a few of the earlier climbs were pretty serious, but very doable, and in no way prepared us for Hardknott and Wrynose... I just can't imagine what they were thinking when they decided to put a tarmac road over these slopes all those years ago, never seen anything like it, I would definitely be very wary even taking the car over..

I too had to walk a couple of bits on Hardknott, but managed to find a false flat to get back on both times, and managed up Wrynose, but only just.. the worst thing were the descents of these 2 climbs, totally freaky, 30% gradients with a switchback every 15 or 20 metres, not much fun at all...

The organisation is the best I've ever seen, everything went off to a tee, and the spectators and helpers along the way were brilliant..

All in all a great experience to share with a great bunch of JWWC mates, that will live long in the memory....

Would I do it again..... too early to decide, my body is saying no, my mind is saying ask me in a few weeks...

Loved it! Echo everyone's comments. Brilliant scenery in lovely weather. Amazing route and excellent organisation throughout. Best food stops ever! Even local school kids were out at junctions offering jelly babies, water and suntan lotion. The whole area seems to have embraced this one.

Mega tough final two climbs after 90 miles in your legs. In France or Italy there would be a nice tunnel to go through rather than nonsensical gradients. The final 100-110 mile section was lovely.

Great bunch from JWCC sticking together for the day.

Some really inspirational pre-ride preparation from Paul L and David C. (I wouldn't be surprised if Dave Brailsford is in contact soon.)

But never, ever again!

• 2024 Subscriptions

Well, you all say never again, but you never know. I said that the first time I rode it and I've now ridden it three times. It may say something about me right enough, but cycling is like that, full of mental exploits where the memory of the pain diminishes with time. It's a bit like one imagines giving birth is like; if women stuck to their initial reactions no family would have more than one child!

And besides, Charlie has his ride postponed until next year and we couldn't let him ride it by his self, could we?